State of the Planet

Discussion in 'News and Current Affairs' started by Reiver, 1 Jan 2019.

1. mudsticks

mudsticks Über Member

Which is what hippy tree hugging organic farmers like myself have been saying for years ..

To almost resounding derision from the mainstream.

But suddenly our talk of soil carbon sequestration, biodiversity, better nutrition, avoiding eco system collapse through eschewing oil derived artificial pesticides, and fertilizers, whilst maintaining good productivity, and soil conservation in the long term has become interesting - even to some folks in defra ..

But boy has it been an uphill struggle.

Edwardoka likes this.
  2. marinyork

marinyork Resting in suspended Animation

This is a story. A large number of republicans in the state senate within Oregon disappear to climate change legislation can't be passed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-48737711

Edwardoka likes this.
  3. Edwardoka

Edwardoka Bloviating Windbag

Bloody hell. When you said disappear I thought you meant they refused to turn up on the day the bill was to be voted on, but no, they've literally done a runner and crossed state lines! Not a fan of the talk of "militias" to protect them from the police either.

Has America always been this batsh*t insane?
    (In case you're wondering, the answer is an emphatic "yes". If you don't believe me, listen to The Dollop, an american history podcast.)

4. Johnno260

Johnno260 Über Member

Where I work they all deny climate change, I commented on watching a Attenborough docu which said we're living beyond our means as in we can't produce enough food, clean water and energy to sustain the current population of the world, it's projected to hit 9 billion by the 2040-2050s..

I was told it's a load of scare mongering stupidity we can just grow more food, I said where? you can't just farm the same land all the time without damaging it's ability to produce food, and clean water doesn't grow on trees, they said use sea water which can be used but desalination isn't simple and it's very energy hungry and produces horrible by products.

I said maybe if they had kids they could maybe see beyond their own needs, I said I'm very concerned about the world my children will inherit, turns out it's typical human short sightedness, response was why should we care.. until attitudes change then the worlds basically screwed.

It's the same people who think I'm stupid for taking works recycling to the dump, and for commuting by bike or partial commuting to my place of work, cyclists are the issue in their eyes, even though air quality in parts of T Wells is horrific..

5. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey Nearly 63 - oh dear! Moderator

Just out of interest as I used to live there - which parts of TW have air quality issues?

6. Johnno260

Johnno260 Über Member

St John road from the old Kent and Sussex to Southborough, the air quality along there is meant to be horrific, and Forest Road.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice