State of the Planet

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Worst of all we are the first species that has decided to wreck our environment rather than use a bit less of everything.
We are genetically programmed to reproduce, and as we are reproducing at a far greater rate than we are dying off using a bit less of everything will make sod all difference.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
We are genetically programmed to reproduce, and as we are reproducing at a far greater rate than we are dying off using a bit less of everything will make sod all difference.
Everything is genetically programmed to reproduce the difference is we know what's happening and still choosing to do little or nothing as a population.

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Everything is genetically programmed to reproduce the difference is we know what's happening and still choosing to do little or nothing as a population.
No one acts in the interests of an entire population, we all act as individuals, on a very micro basis.
Unless the whole word agree to act as one very little will change.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
No one acts in the interests of an entire population, we all act as individuals, on a very micro basis.
Unless the whole word agree to act as one very little will change.
And how many of the people who berate us for driving or flying would support legislation to limit child birth to one per couple? When the Chinese tried it it was denounced as a draconian infringement of people's human rights.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Or outline what you are doing.
Walk or cycle everywhere , I had to rely on a car or public transport 6 times last year.
No foreign holidays or plane travel for 20 + years
Reduced meat consumption by 60 % compared to 5 years ago.
Choose , where applicable, food with the lowest miles to plate .
Only heating the rooms I'm actually using.
Voluntary work for recycling
Choosing purchases with the lowest packaging
Using everything until it worn out or broken.
Non breeder
Never owned a car
Always lived withing walking or cycling distance of my employment
Mobile phones etc only replaced when broken
Not covering my body in chemicals that make me smell like chemicals
Shaving foams replaced with gels and soaps
Working to using less gas and electricity year on year

That'll do for a start don't you think

What have you done ??

Adam4868

Veteran
And how many of the people who berate us for driving or flying would support legislation to limit child birth to one per couple? When the Chinese tried it it was denounced as a draconian infringement of people's human rights.
You could try the Tory way.Was it not Duncan Smith who wanted to limit the benefits to people with more than two children ? Something like that anyway.

Rusty Nails

We remember
Walk or cycle everywhere , I had to rely on a car or public transport 6 times last year.
No foreign holidays or plane travel for 20 + years
Reduced meat consumption by 60 % compared to 5 years ago.
Choose , where applicable, food with the lowest miles to plate .
Only heating the rooms I'm actually using.
Voluntary work for recycling
Choosing purchases with the lowest packaging
Using everything until it worn out or broken.
Non breeder
Never owned a car
Always lived withing walking or cycling distance of my employment
Mobile phones etc only replaced when broken
Not covering my body in chemicals that make me smell like chemicals
Shaving foams replaced with gels and soaps
Working to using less gas and electricity year on year

That'll do for a start don't you think

What have you done ??
Well done.

Some of what I do is outlined in my post #28 above.

Plus half a dozen things on your list that are more by habit and miserliness than done specifically to help the ecology of the planet so I can't take credit for them.

P.s. you may remember from my post that I mentioned my foreign holidays and which I know exceed the positive things I do. Hence my saying I know I do not do enough.

Last edited:

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
I’d say it was an infringement on the human rights of an awful lot of girls.

Flying_Monkey

Toll Collector on the Road to Nowhere
You do all know that the choice between authoritarian force and pure individual action is a false one, right? Or at least far from the only game in town. It's really not about dick-waving comparisons on who does more or less. It's great that people do things and examples are always useful, but the change we need is structural not individual. Every political economic system exists within a frame made up or rules which limit what can take place within in. The trick is getting some rules we agree on. That's what Kyoto and Paris were about. They don't go anywhere near far enough, but they do something. They show it's possible to get global agreements.

We just have to force it further and there are lots of signs of hope despite everything, for example I'm very hopeful about the groups of young people taking legal action against governments for not doing enough and forcing them to make stronger national policies and take stronger stands in international meetings. I'm really impressed by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the Green New Deal movement in the USA. I'm pretty hopeful about the anti-oil pipeline movements in Canada. I like Extinction Rebellion in the UK. We need more of all of these different, but all fundamentally collective, approaches.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
You could try the Tory way.Was it not Duncan Smith who wanted to limit the benefits to people with more than two children ? Something like that anyway.
Notice I didn't say at any point I was in favour of this, in fact as I won't be around to see the results I don't need to even care. But over population is the biggest driver of climate change as being consumer we all leave a huge carbon footprint no matter how green we are.

What's your solution?

Johnno260

Über Member
Isn’t it why cattle farming is unsustainable, that’s a lot of methane.

We have been trying to eat more veggies and seasonal stuff as well, and using local produce as often as possible.

Top Bottom