Statues, then

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
As Steelers Wheel almost said, FSGs to the right of me, FSGs to the left.
You're definitely on the list with facetious funnery such as this.. :huh:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
How's about the Glasgow solution to showing the appropriate level of respect for these worthies:

View attachment 569752

I'm sure you'll agree that this fine statue of Wellington has been justly enhanced by the careful placement of a traffic cone artfully placed on his head. (Glasgow Council gave up removing it every morning - understandably as it was a task of Sisyhyian futility. The response of the locals was to decorate the horse with a traffic cone, too. You've got to love Glaswegians, haven't you?). More appropriate adornments could always be selected for other statues. Perhaps a fragment of scorched rubble from Hamburg might be suitable for Bomber Harris, for instance?
I like the way the photographer has captured the trench coated lady in such a manner, as to suggest she's marching up to add another cone to the pile :laugh:

Another regular cone wearer....

View attachment 569771
There was the tragic case of the Exeter student who died of a head injury from falling whist attempting to do this.

If nothing else is done about statues I think at least that all of them above 2m in height should have a traffic cone permenantly affixed to their bonces, so as to prevent any further loss of life.

Last edited:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
But returning to telly progs of old, and war n stuff.

I do remember something called "The World at War" that my Pa and Bro seemed inexplicably keen on watching.

The series seemed to go on for interminable years, on BBC 2 Sunday afternoons, whenever it was grey drizzly weather, and there was also that extra drear thought of the weekend coming to a close...

Even just glimpses of the endless grainy footage, of people having unimaginably horrible times in the trenches, or being blown up in variously nasty ways, certainly served to impress upon my young mind the full inglorious horror of war.

And how we should really do our very utmost to avoid it.

And build peace, and humane coexistance instead,

The whole 'Prancing Generals' on snorting steeds goes counter to all that imo.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
Even just glimpses of the endless grainy footage, of people having unimaginably horrible times in the trenches, or being blown up in variously nasty ways, certainly served to impress upon my young mind the full inglorious horror of war.

75 years later..... :rolleyes:

clid61

Veteran
head down and crack on with your own life. I do and it involves shops once a week and daily calls to my parents , rest of time is mine , I'm learning new skills too :smile:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I like the way the photographer has captured the trench coated lady in such a manner, as to suggest she's marching up to add another cone to the pile :laugh:

There was the tragic case of the Exeter student who died of a head injury from falling whist attempting to do this.

If nothing else is done about statues I think at least that all of them above 2m in height should have a traffic cone permenantly affixed to their bonces, so as to prevent any further loss of life.
"Cone placing" clearly falls under Elf and Safety Rules: Working at Heights. A scaffold tower with suitable stabilisers should be used, and eight pints of lager is not recommended before attempting the task.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
But returning to telly progs of old, and war n stuff.

I do remember something called "The World at War" that my Pa and Bro seemed inexplicably keen on watching.

The series seemed to go on for interminable years, on BBC 2 Sunday afternoons, whenever it was grey drizzly weather, and there was also that extra drear thought of the weekend coming to a close...

The whole 'Prancing Generals' on snorting steeds goes counter to all that imo.
It was IMO a very good series, trying to document the worst conflict lnown in a way that was neither glorious, jingoistic or triumphalist. I think it did a pretty fair job telling the story and showing the full graphic horror and misery of war.