Statues, then

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Its the opposite of "flag shagging"...so I'm told.
Oh I've not heard that one before, I like it, I'm nicking it :okay:

postman

Legendary Member
The World at War was a truly excellent series and shoots the ground from under some folks who push a lazy view that the 70s was just crap.
It was made at a time when there were still loads of folk who had been there on all sides to interview.
My mum I think kind of subtly engineered things so that I saw the Holocaust episode.
And it leaves folk in no doubt about war- especially the last one or two episodes.
I assume father and brother took this message from it as well.
It's a masterwork - the title sequence with that music still gets me - Olivier's narration is superb - it's still shown a lot of course and I really saw it properly on one of its endless reruns.
Note - not a lot of trenches in it.
I have that,it's brilliant you know I might start watching it next week.I bought it off ebay.

I have that,it's brilliant you know I might start watching it next week.I bought it off ebay.
very regularly on Yesterday I think - they do run it at some very odd times sometimes though as I recall - inviting folk to sit down of a saturday evening to watch the horrors of the holocaust or whatever.

A typical opening for anyone who might think it jingoisitic or a series of boys own tales of derry doing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMClpOb49b0

Take a bow Jeremy Isaacs and Thames TV.

I can't see that it would be made these days.

DRM

Veteran
very regularly on Yesterday I think - they do run it at some very odd times sometimes though as I recall - inviting folk to sit down of a saturday evening to watch the horrors of the holocaust or whatever.

A typical opening for anyone who might think it jingoisitic or a series of boys own tales of derry doing.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMClpOb49b0

Take a bow Jeremy Isaacs and Thames TV.

I can't see that it would be made these days.
It was made at the right time, when those who lived through it were able to tell the story , it was accurate, truthful and in no way glorified any aspect of WW2, if anything it was a pretty good advert for never ever allowing a global war to happen again, or make any group of people the scapegoat of a country, sadly the further away we get from WW2, the more we forget what happened with regard to blaming others for our ills,and the more chance of another holocaust

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
It was made at the right time, when those who lived through it were able to tell the story , it was accurate, truthful and in no way glorified any aspect of WW2, if anything it was a pretty good advert for never ever allowing a global war to happen again, or make any group of people the scapegoat of a country, sadly the further away we get from WW2, the more we forget what happened with regard to blaming others for our ills,and the more chance of another holocaust
Hence we ended up with neo Nazi types 'defending' Churchill statue against anti racists.. :wacko:

The fact that Churchill was demonstrably racist (even for his time) adds a bit of an extra interest to the scene, or course .

Basically we seem to have a a short collective memory - especially for truths we'd rather forget - for example the horrors and injustices perpetrated by the British Empire.

We just want to remember our supposed 'glorious' bits - gloss over the systematic violence and exploitation.

Which probably had a part in bringing about contemporary events.

Time we recognised our whole history, not just the bits we like.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
For starters the invention of the concentration camp......by Britain to hold the Boers in South Africa
Nope