Statues, then

Once a Wheeler

Where is the monument? Is it in its presence or in its demise?

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert… Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Percy Bysshe Shelley
Ozymandias

Badger_Boom

But yes 'pulled down' sounds a bit more appropriately 'Baying Mob' doesn't it :okay:
But that’s what you’ll get if a decision isn’t reached quickly enough to satisfy some people’s binary perception of good and bad. What next - Amend or relocate the gravestones of people named after Buller and other empire contemporaries as was popular at the time (but a bit cringeworthy now)?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
But that’s what you’ll get if a decision isn’t reached quickly enough to satisfy some people’s binary perception of good and bad. What next - Amend or relocate the gravestones of people named after Buller and other empire contemporaries as was popular at the time (but a bit cringeworthy now)?

I don't suppose anyone has too many objections to the removal of a statue that glorifies a venal slave trader.

That was pretty much Colstons only claim to fame, not much binary about it.
Just plain evil.

I remember discussions over that particular statues worth. and its possible relocation and or reinterpretation, going on in Bristol over thirty years ago.

It's not as if it hadn't been seen as pretty inappropriate, by many for a very long time.

Especially just left to stand there, with nothing to counter the words of glorification written on the base.

As a standalone object, it was pretty crass, and offensive, to anyone who thought about it for two minutes.

It's removal was long overdue, in many eyes, not just of those who took some direct action.