Statues, then

OP
qigong chimp
I never stood on the head of Colston, but I did on the head of a Buddha of Bamiyan in 1973.
Not in the same league as blowing them up, natch, but demonstrating disrespectful ignorance and cultural insensitivity nonetheless.
Bit like testing the flooring tiles in the Pink Mosque with your army boots.

MichaelW2

Veteran
Not in the same league as blowing them up, natch, but demonstrating disrespectful ignorance and cultural insensitivity nonetheless.
Not a statue but:

Mining giant Rio Tinto has apologised for blowing up 46,000-year-old Aboriginal caves in Western Australia dating back to the last Ice Age. The Juukan Gorge caves, in the Pilbara region, were destroyed last Sunday as Rio Tinto expanded an iron ore project agreed with the authorities.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The local Buddhists had left Afghanistan 600 years previously, I believe. I'll create and tear down a statue of myself if it makes you feel better.

Don’t know.Perhaps they should be.Then again someone will complain about that.

OP
qigong chimp
The local Buddhists had left Afghanistan 600 years previously, I believe. I'll create and tear down a statue of myself if it makes you feel better.
Indeed, but the lack of local Buddhists didn't prevent global shock at the destruction of the statues: their symbolic power extended beyond Afghanistan. Globally, Buddhists would find your walking around on the Buddha's head offensive. Merely pointing your feet at someone or at a shrine is considered very poor form in South East Asian Buddhist culture, and it doesn't get any more sacrosanct than the head of the Enlightened One.
No need to create and tear down a statue of yourself: mere acknowledgement that that was crass of you and you were let down by your 'Rough Guide', or regimental guidance about cultural sensitivity, should cover it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Indeed, but the lack of local Buddhists didn't prevent global shock at the destruction of the statues: their symbolic power extended beyond Afghanistan. Globally, Buddhists would find your walking around on the Buddha's head offensive. Merely pointing your feet at someone or at a shrine is considered very poor form in South East Asian Buddhist culture, and it doesn't get any more sacrosanct than the head of the Enlightened One.
No need to create and tear down a statue of yourself: mere acknowledgement that that was crass of you and you were let down by your 'Rough Guide', or regimental guidance about cultural sensitivity, should cover it.
You need to bone up on ancient history. Rough Guides were first published nine years after my appalling display of cultural insensitivity.

OP
qigong chimp
Thanks; I did hedge with my inverted commas but I've no defense and I apologise unreservedly for my mistake..
Although I'm not sure the publisher of the guide book, if any, that you took with you on your trip to Afghanistan is the most interesting thing here.
Telling - I think, though I may be alone in this - that in a thread about statues sort of twinned with threads about their cultural and symbolic potency and the respect they are or are not due, about race and power and colonial history, that you could be so confident that your Englishman(?) abroad sortie across the Noble One's pate would be unobjectionable.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Thanks; I did hedge with my inverted commas but I've no defense and I apologise unreservedly for my mistake..
Although I'm not sure the publisher of the guide book, if any, that you took with you on your trip to Afghanistan is the most interesting thing here.
Telling - I think, though I may be alone in this - that in a thread about statues sort of twinned with threads about their cultural and symbolic potency and the respect they are or are not due, about race and power and colonial history, that you could be so confident that your Englishman(?) abroad sortie across the Noble One's pate would be unobjectionable.
I never claimed that somebody wouldn't find my tramping up a dark, steep staircase in the cliff, built by the creators of the Buddha, objectionable. Anyway, I'm sure the people of that religion who left the Bamiyan valley in the 8th Century are grateful for your concern.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish
Not a statue but:

Mining giant Rio Tinto has apologised for blowing up 46,000-year-old Aboriginal caves in Western Australia dating back to the last Ice Age. The Juukan Gorge caves, in the Pilbara region, were destroyed last Sunday as Rio Tinto expanded an iron ore project agreed with the authorities.
How very sensitive of them. I'm sure the Aborigines will feel much better about it now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Milzy News & Current Affairs 769
Flick of the Elbow CC Cafe - General Chat 15
Top Bottom