Statues, then

OP
qigong chimp
I never claimed that somebody wouldn't find my tramping up a dark, steep staircase in the cliff, built by the creators of the Buddha, objectionable. Anyway, I'm sure the people of that religion who left the Bamiyan valley in the 8th Century are grateful for your concern.
I doubt even the most fundamentalist or intolerant Buddhist would lose their equanimous blob over someone using stairs, frankly.

It may be wrong to generalise; there may be cultures who find stair climbing disrespectful of their founding holy figures, but I don't know of any. So I think you're alright there; no-one need fret about whether or not anyone would find your use of stairs objectionable. It would certainly be laughable for anyone to suggest that you might think twice about using stairs out of consideration for the deep veneration Buddhists feel for the Thus Gone One. The very idea!

No: it's treading his head underfoot that might upset some people.

Last edited:

pjd57

Veteran
There's one due to be built in St. Mary's - it had been delayed by the pandemic last I heard, but the money and planning permission is there.

ETA - more on it here: https://angortamorglasgow.com
Yes it's took a very long time but it should be in place eventually.

We need to be clear: Andrew never claimed that somebody wouldn't find his plodging along a daylit, level pavement adjacent to the highway, built by the civil engineer creators of London's streetscene, objectionable.
Thanks for the link -

After returning home, Banks was confronted by his father. Banks admitted he was the man in the picture and said he did not know what the memorial was for until his father explained it. The family then called the police.

matticus

We need to be clear: Andrew never claimed that somebody wouldn't find his plodging along a daylit, level pavement adjacent to the highway, built by the civil engineer creators of London's streetscene, objectionable.
I have no idea what this means.

Meanwhile:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/15/man-given-14-day-jail-sentence-for-urinating-near-pc-keith-palmer-plaque
Judge's statement seems amazingly balanced to me. Good work, and good work turning the case around so fast, given the public nature of the case.
"“The irony is that rather than protecting the monuments, you very nearly ended up urinating on one. The harm caused is the upset and shock felt by members of the public who saw the images that generated a strong sense of revulsion.” "

OP
qigong chimp
Meanwhile:
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jun/15/man-given-14-day-jail-sentence-for-urinating-near-pc-keith-palmer-plaque
Judge's statement seems amazingly balanced to me. Good work, and good work turning the case around so fast, given the public nature of the case.
"“The irony is that rather than protecting the monuments, you very nearly ended up urinating on one. The harm caused is the upset and shock felt by members of the public who saw the images that generated a strong sense of revulsion.” "
Phew! I thought I was going mad. Custodial sentence for being p1ssed and nearly ending up urinating on a memorial!? "Generating revulsion"?

perplexed

Legendary Member
Phew! I thought I was going mad. Custodial sentence for being p1ssed and nearly ending up urinating on a memorial!? "Generating revulsion"?
From the Guardian piece:

That something is apparently low-value criminal damage of war memorials, which, according to 125 Conservative MPs, is not being punished severely enough. So it was that backbench demands for a new offence carrying a maximum sentence of 10 years’ custody filled the Sunday press, with MPs vowing not to stand idly by as our democracy is dismantled in this way”.

Seemingly sympathetic to the proposition that spray-painting a statue portends the dismantling of democracy, the government has thrown its weight behind the proposals, with the home secretary, attorney general and justice secretary all said to be supportive. What came as perhaps more of a surprise was the opposition joining the chorus. No doubt wary of falling into a populist-shaped elephant trap, the new shadow home secretary, Nick Thomas-Symonds, hitched Labour’s wagon to this nonsense, telling Sky News that he would “support the government in creating a new specific offence of protecting war memorials”.

My bold:

Interesting that the Government are getting excited about the thought of an aerosol being the architect of the downfall of British democracy, whilst simultaneously having no concerns whatsoever about their party illegally proroguing Parliament.

Furthermore, they continue to supress the Russia Report, possibly, one can only suspect, because they are up to their duplicitous necks in it.

The Secret Barrister's book is a good read - amongst other things, he takes issue with a variety of politician's legal illiteracy and populist knee jerk utterances, including Labour, over the years.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
From the Guardian piece:

That something is apparently low-value criminal damage of war memorials, which, according to 125 Conservative MPs, is not being punished severely enough. So it was that backbench demands for a new offence carrying a maximum sentence of 10 years’ custody filled the Sunday press, with MPs vowing not to stand idly by as our democracy is dismantled in this way”.

Seemingly sympathetic to the proposition that spray-painting a statue portends the dismantling of democracy, the government has thrown its weight behind the proposals, with the home secretary, attorney general and justice secretary all said to be supportive. What came as perhaps more of a surprise was the opposition joining the chorus. No doubt wary of falling into a populist-shaped elephant trap, the new shadow home secretary, Nick Thomas-Symonds, hitched Labour’s wagon to this nonsense, telling Sky News that he would “support the government in creating a new specific offence of protecting war memorials”.

My bold:

Interesting that the Government are getting excited about the thought of

** an aerosol being the architect of the downfall of British democracy,

** whilst simultaneously having no concerns whatsoever about their party illegally proroguing Parliament.

Furthermore, they continue to supress the Russia Report, possibly, one can only suspect, because they are up to their duplicitous necks in it.

The Secret Barrister's book is a good read - amongst other things, he takes issue with a variety of politician's legal illiteracy and populist knee jerk utterances, including Labour, over the years.
** Same, same, Dominics fingerprints all over both?? .

It's such little dick energy, trying to suggest the BLM movement is all about about trying to dismantle 'heroic' statues, and doing away with manufactured 'heritage' and 'tradition'

Oh and "Something something something Game of Thrones"

Pitiful, truly pitiful.. :sad:

Still people are lapping up that version of things I guess, cos it's much easier than having to square up to the real one.

AND YES, Also WHERE'S THE RUSSIA REPORT.??

"Oh I read bits of it, not much of interest really"

- - That'll be why you've not published it then, I spose???

Last edited:
Two possibilities here, either you don't know who Ngo or is - and should therefore invest some time in looking into his background before publishing his hateful dribble here, or - you do know who he is and are fine with him using his time at Quillette to provide lists of "antifa-adjacent" journalists to a neo-nazi group.

In either case, consider yourself called out.

I'm starting to think that the NACA subforum should be shut down.

Two possibilities here, either you don't know who Ngo or is - and should therefore invest some time in looking into his background before publishing his hateful dribble here, or - you do know who he is and are fine with him using his time at Quillette to provide lists of "antifa-adjacent" journalists to a neo-nazi group.

In either case, consider yourself called out.

I'm starting to think that the NACA subforum should be shut down.
I had no idea who he is. Twitter is full of images and videos of this statue being torn down, this was one of the clearer ones.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Milzy News & Current Affairs 769
Flick of the Elbow CC Cafe - General Chat 15
Top Bottom