Steel fork question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marxist_fixie

Proper tea is theft [with apologies to Prodhom]
I have some steel forks that look very nice but no decal to identify it....It came to the UK from the Netherlands and was sold to a fellow forum member by rih. It has chromed but unbranded dropouts. It has a lovely fork crown which is very thin and looks like a Batavus forks, it has no tang on the inner legs of the forks but unlike most 531 or columbus steel forks these weigh 857g but. it does not have a massive steerer [188mm]..why is it so heavy [relatively speaking]....any ideas as to what tubing the forks are made from? Link to the forks is below:

The second pic shows the fork crown quite clearly.....and they are definitely not Gazelle forks.....any help in identifying either the fork or the tubing would be much appreciated but it is likely that it is not possible to identify either.....but note i have come across Reynolds 501, 525 and Columbus Aelle forks lighter than these.

Moreover if the the fork blades are 'pinged' the sound made is clean and sounds like a bell....but when the steerer is struck in the same way...it sounds dull.

Attachments

• fork 3.jpg
    fork 3.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 56
  • forks 4.jpg
    forks 4.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 55
  • forks 5.jpg
    forks 5.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 54

raindog

er.....
There's a beautiful pair of steel Colnago forks leaning against my desk at the moment and I just tried your test out on them. Same result, when pinged the fork legs rang out clear as a bell, but the steerer made more of a 'toc' sound. Don't know how heavy they are though.
Don't forget that forks will weigh more or less because the steerer's have varying lengths according to the size of bike they're for.

OP
OP
marxist_fixie

marxist_fixie

Proper tea is theft [with apologies to Prodhom]
There's a beautiful pair of steel Colnago forks leaning against my desk at the moment and I just tried your test out on them. Same result, when pinged the fork legs rang out clear as a bell, but the steerer made more of a 'toc' sound. Don't know how heavy they are though.
Don't forget that forks will weigh more or less because the steerer's have varying lengths according to the size of bike they're for.

Fair point about the steerer length.....but mine does not have a massive steerer....i would say it is from a 55cm frame ±1cm....Look at the frames here....http://www.classicbikeshop.eu/Classic-frames.html

You will see the only forks that weigh the same are from a 62cm frame.....so something does not add up......What could mine be made from?

Top Bottom