steel frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albal

Guru
Hi<
I have an old raliegh steel frame reynolds tubing , it s around 25 yr old. Question is? is it worth spending on it re; upgrades. I'd like to use it or touring in the future.
Thanks

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you like it, it's worth it.

gbb

Legendary Member
It certainly is albal. See my Raleigh Clubman i rebuilt/upgraded...

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Cost me IRO £230, upgraded from 5 to 8 speed, which included new transmission (well a mix of new and bits off ebay and my spares box)...well, you can see everythings 'new' or replaced except the frame and forks.
Luckily i had some 8 speed Sora STIs i'd got hold of remarkably cheap, otherwise the cost would have been higher.
Its rock solid, durable transmission, everythings working well after nearly 3 years. (it was built as my winter commuter, so doesnt get much use during the summer).

Brilliant as a project, brilliant to learn about building and fettling.

PpPete

Legendary Member
^^^^^ wot they said

But beware, especially if you suffer from "upgrade-itis" like me, it could end up costing more in total than a brand new bike.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
For touring it should be nice and comfy - if not very fast - especially if it is 531 tubing (there should be a little sticker on the bike with this on).

asterix

Comrade Member
^^^^^ wot they said

But beware, especially if you suffer from "upgrade-itis" like me, it could end up costing more in total than a brand new bike.

Yes I did that too, but to paraphrase Lt. Col. Kilgore:

It was a good board bike... and I like it. You know how hard it is to find a board bike you like...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Dare I ask what it is you think needs upgrading? Most of those old Reynolds frame steelies were made well, with good bits. Bit of oil, pump up the tyres, 'way you go...

OP
OP
albal

albal

Guru
No Reynolds badge visible since i've owned it (1996). Bit of rust around forks. It's very tatty, never gets a glance + i like it that way :biggrin::biggrin:.Not got a pic of it handy.soz :whistle:Large frame size for me (1.76m) But i find it very comfortable.

Top Bottom