Steel vs Aluminium vs Titanium vs Carbon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vorsprung

Veteran
All materials are different

All bike designs are different

Saving weight isn't the end goal of all bike design

At the moment I have a steel, Aluminium and Carbon bike. I did have a Ti bike but broke it :smile:

Let's talk about ride quality instead of weight

The Aluminium bike is a Orbea Gavia. It's a standard cheap racing bike from 2004, with carbon forks. In terms of ride it can be harsh, especially on roads with large bumps. But the carbon fork is very effective for high frequency noise. The acceleration of the bike was quite remarkable and the lower position meant it felt faster too.

The steel bike is a Cotic Roadrat. It has steel forks and 28mm tyres and I use it for commuting. The ride generally is better than the Orbea, but the difference is quite subtle. On a rough road you'd say the two bikes were both as bad, the 28mm tyres helped though. Not the fastest bike in the world but then it wasn't ever in a hurry. Except when I needed to be at the pub for the first round. Article about the steel bike on the blog here

The broken Ti bike was a custom Setavento. It had 28mm tyres and a carbon fork. The ride quality was clearly superior to the steel or Al bike. Even on a really rough road the bike tried to protect the rider. Because it was so light it climbed well. But the Aluminium Orbea was stiffer and felt more responsive. Several articles about the Ti bike on the blog here

The carbon bike is new, it's a Specialized Roubaix. The ride quality is still under analysis but first impressions are that the amount of "high frequency" noise or buzz coming through from the road is more than the Ti bike but less than the Aluminium or Steel bike. On rough roads it is amazing though. The frame seems to absorb medium sized lumps and holes, no sting at all. The weight is the same as the Ti bike for climbing and the stiffness for accelloration is better than the previous winner, the Aluminium bike. Photos of the carbon bike here

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Yeah, but everyone knows...

Aluminium frames will snap after 18months use.
Titanium costs more than gold and is no good because it can't be repaired by a mongolian blacksmith.
Carbon Fibre melts when it gets wet.
Steel bikes all go rusty and weigh more than small mountains.

best to stick to walking I guess :rolleyes:

OP
OP
vorsprung

vorsprung

Veteran
Yeah, but everyone knows...

Aluminium frames will snap after 18months use.
Titanium costs more than gold and is no good because it can't be repaired by a mongolian blacksmith.
Carbon Fibre melts when it gets wet.
Steel bikes all go rusty and weigh more than small mountains.

I'm glad you are here to add the vital facts I missed out above
The solution is not to walk however, it is a bamboo framed bike

mike-L

You also forgot
Stainless steel (953, XcR) - weighs the same as Ti and feels smoother, but its no good because it dings if you breathe heavily on it.

I'm glad you are here to add the vital facts I missed out above
The solution is not to walk however, it is a bamboo framed bike

And heres me thinking it was the colour that made the real difference. Red bikes are definitely faster.

I can't see how there can ever be a true comparison as all the frames would have to be identical, bar the material. As the material dictates the method of construction, eg. welded steel vs. moulded carbon it can't really be achieved.
Having said that the ride of my steel bike is as good as the alloy, despite a big difference in tyres (23's vs. 26x1.75)

Fiona N

Veteran
I can't see how there can ever be a true comparison as all the frames would have to be identical, bar the material.

I agree - I had 2 steel bikes for a number of years when I was racing (in the '80's). One was Reynolds 531 and the other 753. Both steel and like chalk and cheese. The 531 frame was as comfortable as can be while the 753 was a right b***d of a stiff frame with almost miraculous acceleration especially with some light wheels on. They were both built for me but the frame builders were different as well as the intended use - one bike was for road racing and long TTs (100 mile, 12 and 24 hour), the other for criteriums and short TT's (before the days of tri-bars) so a rather tighter angled frame as well.

I reckon all my bikes since, whatever the material, fit between those two extremes.

Top Bottom