Steepest hill on your commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
I haven't quite started this place yet, but I have had a look at what it would take to get there on bike. There is a hill on this route though that is pushing 1/10 and there is not a lot I can do to avoid it. My biggest concern with this hill though is that it is on a very busy road that narrows a bit, cue possibly some rather scary overtakes by impatient motorists. :evil:

What is the steepest hill on your commute?

jimboalee

I have 5" of an 86 deg gradient right at the end of my commute.

RedBike

My new commute is about as flat as I could hope for. For reasons i'm not entirely sure of I do keep adding in extra up-hills for the hell of it. I do it on a fixed wheel bike too!

18% is the steepest up hill section.Sadly I still can't get down anything resembling a slope on the fixie so I go miles around to avoid them.

Cubist

Still wavin'
My ride home is a total of six miles, all uphill. The first 5.5 miles are a breeze at about 3 to 5 percent average. Last half mile includes a hill the steepest part of which is mapped at 20 percent on Mapmyride.com . When I first got the Boardman I had to stop at the bottom of the hill to gather myself mentally, as it's a compact double.Now I can honk halfway up on the big ring, but am still seriously considering getting a triple chainset!

Total altitude gain over the six miles is 900 feet

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
The two biggies on my commute are Anerley Hill and Leaves Green. Neither are that impressive really.

Sailorchick

Biggest on my commute is Athelstan Road. When I first started commuting could only get about a third of the way up the steep section (its short, but v steep) so made it my mission to get up the bugger. Now get up it nicely, not even in the easiest gear anymore. Just need to work out how to keep the front wheel with better traction.

Its a very fast downhill, with a bend at the end of the steep section typically. I am working on getting my confidence back on the descent after getting knocked off a few weeks ago by a BMW pulling out in front of me when I had no chance of stopping. Riding the brakes at the moment down hills and still very nervous, but will get my confidence back - the nervousness on downhills is on all downhills at the moment and not liking it one bit!

Bokonon

Über Member
The last half mile of my commute averages 1:14 with a 1:9 ruling gradient. Always good fun when I'm bring my shopping home on fixed :smile:.

The 'straight line' route is south to Brighton over Ditchling Beacon, the sane alternative is via Clayton/Pyecombe hills on the A273!

There is a little short, sharp shock coming back north in the form of Church Hill at Pyecombe....

Top Bottom