Stelvio Plus - anyone rate these ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Looking at Schwalbe Stelvio Plus road tyres, since they have a good dose of puncture protection built in. Does anyone run these and if so, how have you found them for wear and puncture resistance ?

And would it make any difference if I bought the folding version (apart from being easier to send in the post to me) ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My LBS has the Stelvio Plus - I was somewhat unimpressed at them being double the price of the Stelvios, as was the LBS. Their recommendation was blizzards + tyre liners if I wanted that level of protection...

Depends on how UDE proof you want to be - my experience of the Stelvio is good so far (1 UDE since I fitted them in January) but our commutes aren't the same...

The folding tyre has the advantage of being lighter (100g or so per tyre if I remember the blurb correctly) being available in different colours (to match the bike!) and it is possible to carry a spare tyre should you want to.

Of course, if you're really pushing the boat out, have you seen the Ultremo...?

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

John the Monkey said:
My LBS has the Stelvio Plus - I was somewhat unimpressed at them being double the price of the Stelvios, as was the LBS. Their recommendation was blizzards + tyre liners if I wanted that level of protection...

Depends on how UDE proof you want to be - my experience of the Stelvio is good so far (1 UDE since I fitted them in January) but our commutes aren't the same...

The folding tyre has the advantage of being lighter (100g or so per tyre if I remember the blurb correctly) being available in different colours (to match the bike!) and it is possible to carry a spare tyre should you want to.

Of course, if you're really pushing the boat out, have you seen the Ultremo...?

I like the look of those Ultremos and they were given a good review in C+, but looking at user reviews on the web makes it clear that they cut up badly very quickly, so I was put off !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
goo_mason said:
I like the look of those Ultremos and they were given a good review in C+, but looking at user reviews on the web makes it clear that they cut up badly very quickly, so I was put off !

Your team car will be carrying more though, surely...? ;)

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Just went for a pair of Stelvio Raceguard tyres in an eBay shop. £19.99 for the pair inc. P&P. which isn't a lot. If they're mince, then at least I haven't spent a fortune on them !

I run Stelvios' on the Moulton, as they are the raciest tyre you can get to fit (tho I am willing to be proved wrong if anyone else knows any different?) Had quite a number of p******es early on, but touch wood I've not p******ed for nearly 2 years now, but have gone through a set of tyres due to wear and tear.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

John the Monkey said:
Have they arrived yet Goo? What do you reckon?

Should be here tomorrow or Thursday I reckon. I'll let you know !

Managed my commute today with the Kendas still inflated by the end of the day. Phew !!

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Stelvio Raceguards arrived today - posted 1st Class from Hitchin on the 28th April. Another big raspberry for our quality Royal Mail deliveries :blush:

Glad they got here today as I had another UDE on the way home tonight, shortly after leaving work. Yet another trauma with the Cyclaire Plus - this time I managed to get up to about 80psi before it decided to come loose on the valve and let half of the bloody air out again. By then, it began overheating so I had to stand around for a while to let it cool and try again. Same thing happened again - fine until about 70 this time. Half the air gone once more. Overheated again. Had to let cool again. Managed 80 again and stopped before the inevitable happened so I could get home before my arms dropped off.

Managed to blister up and burst a big patch on my finger without realising on the cord too.

I feel like finding the inventor and inserting the damn pump where the sun don't shine ;):angry::biggrin::angry:

Another beautiful ride home in the sun ruined by a fight with a stupid pump.

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

There's a Topeak Road Morph in the mail somewhere between the US and here - bought it on eBay at the same time I bought the tyres.

Hopefully it'll be here soon.

Top Bottom