Stems/Steerer tube question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Are all OS stem's the same height. i.e the height/length of the area that actually clamps to the steerer tube? i.e could i switch one oversize stem for another for aanother from a different manufacturer without having to worry about having to shorten steerer tube?

Thanks

Tollers

EDIT: Think i should just wait for new stem to arrive then worry about cutting it down later. Seems the LBS doesn't have a long waiting list thankfully :evil:

Am going to get headset fit and steerer tube cut down as soon as the stem gets delivered, how many and what spacers do you guys think i should go for to start with? My headset already has a 15mm stack height, so maybe add a 10mm spacer and a 5mm?

GilesM

Legendary Member
The height of the steerer tube clamping section on different stems may vary by a few mm, but don't worry about it, just cut everything to fit the stem you plan to use, and as you plan to use some spacers, you should be okay if you ever need to change the stem. The 15mm of spacers sounds fine, personally I'd go for 3 x 5mm ones, then you have more options for adjusting the handle bar height in the future, however the spacers are very easy to change.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Stems are different heights, but the only problem you may encounter is if you change stems later you may have to swap around spacers to maintain required 2mm-ish drop to top of steerer. (Some advise a narrow spacer on top of stem to provide this gap - especially if carbon steerer)

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
yep different heights - my old one was 35mm my new one 40 - fortunately I left 5mm spare and used a spacer on top so avoided the need to replace the forks!

Top Bottom