Stephen Hawking - passed away

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Sadly people on social media are saying he will regret not believing in god now. Errr no he won’t regret anything.

You say that, but...

29178335_1571298132908006_8833812015299874448_n.jpg

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Great scientist and scientific communicator.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I spent the morning listening to various professors talking about crazy physics stuff on the radio this morning.
Apparently if an astronaut was entering a black hole, their perception of time would speed up so fast that before they crossed the event horizon they would witness the conclusion of the universe, whilst observers on earth would stay in their time and never even see the astronaut enter the black hole.

The other thing they explained was to do with the speed of light. Nothing is faster than light, so if you had two cars moving away from each other both traveling at the speed of light, and a passenger shined a torch at the other car, they would see the light from the torch even though they were traveling away from each other at what would appear to be twice the speed of light. This is because nothing can travel fast than light so space and time would have to change to accommodate this.

I don’t understand it, but it sounded very impressive.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I spent the morning listening to various professors talking about crazy physics stuff on the radio this morning.
Apparently if an astronaut was entering a black hole, their perception of time would speed up so fast that before they crossed the event horizon they would witness the conclusion of the universe, whilst observers on earth would stay in their time and never even see the astronaut enter the black hole.

The other thing they explained was to do with the speed of light. Nothing is faster than light, so if you had two cars moving away from each other both traveling at the speed of light, and a passenger shined a torch at the other car, they would see the light from the torch even though they were traveling away from each other at what would appear to be twice the speed of light. This is because nothing can travel fast than light so space and time would have to change to accommodate this.

I don’t understand it, but it sounded very impressive.
The astronaut stuff is general relativity, which is the more complete description of space-time. Special relativity is a, believe it or not, a simple case. Both due mainly to Einstein, who didn’t get a Nobel Prize for either (from memory, his NP was for the explanation of the photoelectric effect). I did a third year course in General Relativity, which was truly a head feck and the fiercest maths I’ve ever had to contemplate.

Hawkins was a major player in attempting to understand the thermodynamics of black holes, which is where I check out.

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 5181832, member: 43827"]H-A-W-K-I-N-S

"..so clever it makes me angry..........but not half as clever as he thinks he is". jefmcg[/QUOTE]

Hawkins was a major player in attempting to understand the thermodynamics of black holes, which is where I check out.
You see?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 5182715, member: 43827"]OK. I get the point!

But I wish people would give him the respect of at least spelling his name correctly in a thread about his death.[/QUOTE]
I think having Richard Dawkins as the other great celebrity scientist of his generation probably doesn't help.

Top Bottom