Stick with 53/39 or would something else be better?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spence

Über Member
Hi, been using the bike for a few weeks now and starting to think a few things may need changing.

Currently have a 53/39 double running a 12-26 cassette. Now I'm finding most of the time I'm in the big ring but up the top of the block. Not enough in the legs. If I use the smaller ring I'm quite quickly down onto the small cog. This is all on the fairly flat terrain around here but on the occasional hill with a steeper gradient the 39 ring can easily run up onto the big cog.

Now I'm thinking of swapping the crank set for a compact with the hope that it would give me full use of the cassette range and spin up anything steep. So question is a 50/36 or a 48/34? Any comments besides getting fitter?

Thanks

ajb

I would stick with what you've got for a bit longer.
As you get fitter and stronger you will find you will come done on the cassette.

My bike has got a compact on it, when I started I was nearly always on the 39, Now I'm mainly on the 50 but coming down to the smaller cogs on the cassette.

Alan.

OP
OP
spence

spence

Über Member
Thanks guys, found the answer, well half the answer this lunch time. A strong tail wind........;)

Thought about a triple but that'll mean a new shifter and probably front mech.

Top Bottom