Stolen phone, resulting in phone calls from China...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

Hello all, not sure if anyone will know what to do in this case, but I may as well try! My phone was stolen a few weeks ago, and the sim card was subsequently used for a number of international calls, totting up a £200 bill. I have just received a new sim card and it's been working for just one day, I have had a number of calls from the same number, which I have traced back to china (Xi'an province)

http://translate.goo...fari%26rls%3Den

That site shows the number, and it has 6 reports of concern on it. I don't know what to do, it only rings a few times then the call off, it's getting quite annoying. What would you guys do about it?

Cheers

EDIT- The number is still the same.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
cant you ask your provider to block the number?

Sam Kennedy

I don't want to be the person who brings you bad news, but I think you will have to pay the £200 :sad:
You need to contact your provider and get the sim card blocked immediately!

OP
OP
darkstar

darkstar

I don't want to be the person who brings you bad news, but I think you will have to pay the £200 :sad:
You need to contact your provider and get the sim card blocked immediately!

Oh yep I know, i managed to block it within 3 hours, but they had already racked up that bill, then continued over a thousand apparently, but I didn't have to pay the extra. I know the street in Toxteth the calls were made from, just not to exact house, which is annoying. As I was mugged by 5 of them, I'd love to see the scroat on his own.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
As Ian suggests - ask if the number can be blocked - depending on when you reported your phone stolen, if the calls were made before you reported it then you'll be liable for those but the ones made after reported stolen will not be at cost to you - though if those numbers link up before you reported your phone as stolen ie thief is calling the same number- it is justifiable to ask for the costs to be waived.

Are you on a contract? makes it easier to chase this kind of thing if you are.
Worth writing a letter if need be as then you have a paper trail.

If they insist you pay (hopefully not) then contact the ombudsman for mobile phone providers (that's if condems haven't already got rid of them) and National debt helpline (think they're free to call-not sure now) to see if they have any other gems of wisdom about the legal side of this potential 'debt'.

Good luck!

PS didn't clarify but ombudsman would be to escalate your complaint to their regulatory body

thomas

the tank engine
if your made to pay turn it into bad pr for them. mobile phone providers have wiped depts of £30k when people have chosen to use their mobile internet abroad....so £200 after being mugged by 5 people isn't much to ask.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
As TT says, if the numbers made after you reported it stolen tally with those made after it had been stolen but before you reported it then there should be some leeway to waiving the charge as clearly they weren't called by you.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Sorry to hear about your traumatic event.

Depending on the type of phone there may be either an app or some utility buit in where you can "blacklist" a number so it doesnt activate the phone when called.

Worth looking into before you go to the bother of changing numbers, and telling everyone about it.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Some phones have a" screened "numbers list . Just add the number to that if you can then they cant ring you.

Top Bottom