Stop picking on James Blunt - Says his Mum....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Leave my son alone, says James Blunt's mum

Singer James Blunt's mother has defended her son against "harsh criticism" from British critics over his public school background.

Surely the criticism is mainly because he's a talentless, whiney voiced tw@t........ Not because he's a talentless, whiney voiced tw@t who happened to go to a posh school :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Who's rattled your cage?

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Saw him a few years ago in Hyde Park , i went to see The Eels who were further down the bill honestly . Buy anyway was pleasntly surprised , he won a huge crowd over and didnt take himself to seriously , quite funny infact and to top it all he banged out a couple of Slade numbers which really rocked .

Ajay

Veteran
This morning I woke up, rolled over and told my wife she reminded me of a James Blunt song,
"Is that because i'm beautiful?"
"No, its because you're shoot and make me want to kill myself"

(love the profile pick CP - I'm a big Foos fan myself)

darkstar

This forum always seems to have a James Blunt thread on the go, every month or so, what's people obsession?

However, to call him talentless is ridiculous, he's a decent guitarist and singer, it's just that taste in music is subjective, and everyone likes different artists. We'd live in a boring world if it were any other way, not get over it.

gavintc

Guru
The class war is alive and kicking. It is acceptable for a singer to be from some run down estate in Liverpool, but if you went a private school... well it is open season. Come on get over yourselves. If you do not like it, don't listen to it. But, stop wrapping your class insecurities into a dislike for a singer.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Strange how the industry will sell the music to the unwashed prolls, but are increasingly reticent at accepting unwashed prolls' music to sell.

In any industry, you want the best staff you can get, and if that means recruiting Ox/Cam fodder, then so be it.

But the only market they will make money from are the millions of unwashed prolls. If the sales were only to the elite, the record companies would fold in days.

Zoiders

Strange how the industry will sell the music to the unwashed prolls, but are increasingly reticent at accepting unwashed prolls' music to sell.

In any industry, you want the best staff you can get, and if that means recruiting Ox/Cam fodder, then so be it.

But the only market they will make money from are the millions of unwashed prolls. If the sales were only to the elite, the record companies would fold in days.
That's not really so though is it?

It's down to connections and the income gap - not a monopoly on musical talent possessed by so called "elite".

The lower classes being pushed out of a profitable industry is not down to an industry recruiting "the best" in any shape or form.

Jezston

Über Member
I should really listen to the Radio 4 broadcast before commnenting on this, but it is almost bedtime...

An ex girlfriend of mine used to work for Sony Music.

- The record companies are full of staff from privileged backgrounds because they are the only people who can afford to live in London and go to all the right parties whilst earning between nothing and £15k.

- Many musicians these days are from privileged backgrounds because they are the only people who can afford not to work and develop a musical career that in this day and age is unlikely to result in reasonable renumeration for your efforts.

The music industry is fast becoming a hobby for the children of the rich.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I've always been rather baffled by the sheer depth of loathing directed at Blunt. His music does nothing for me, and no doubt will be entirely forgotten in a few years, but whenever I've seen him on Have I Got News or Top Gear or whatever, he's always struck me as an amiable and actually quite humorous bloke who as someone said above doesn't take himself too seriously. He can sing, he can play guitar reasonably well and he mostly sings songs he's written himself. Surely there are better targets for bile than a middling musician who as it happens (and not of his own volition) went to a posh school.

david1701

have you spent any time among the great unwashed recently, they're...... unwashed :tongue:

also epic thread revival

Top Bottom