Stop Press! Forum ride for scones, Hebden Bridge, Sunday 19th February.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi all.

Very short notice for this one ... I was supposed to be doing the Mini-Northwest Passage audax ride from Rochdale tomorrow (18th Feb.), but the forecast is looking poor. Sunday, 19th February looks much more promising so I have decided to ride out to Dunsop Bridge from Hebden Bridge instead.

Globalti recommends the scones at Puddleducks cafe in Dunsop Bridge, so we'll go and check them out! (I've cycled through Dunsop Bridge quite a few times but never stopped at the cafe.)

It is 58 kms (36 miles) out and we will return by the same route in reverse. That will be a long metric century.

The route includes a few smaller climbs and long drags but maxes out at an elevation of 240 m so we won't be doing any really big stuff. The worst climb of the day will be that short steep stretch on the Old Roman Road near Read. We will ride out to Burnley on the A646, and use the Padiham Greenway to get into the centre of Padiham. We'll take the scenic route to the Old Roman Road, then continue through Mitton as we usually do, but instead of turning right for Waddington, we will turn left and ride round below the north side of Longridge Fell, taking us through Walker Fold, and then on through Whitewell to Dunsop Bridge for our cafe stop in the village. After that, we will return by the reverse of the route we took out in the morning.

Usual ride ethos - an easy sociable pace, and lots of chatting, with a relaxed stop at the cafe. Nobody will be left behind but if anyone wants to climb ahead of the slower riders, feel free, just wait at the summits for me and the rest of the rear guard!

You ought to feel fairly sure that you can cope with a moderately 'lumpy' ride of this distance, and carry enough food and drink to get you to the cafe at Dunsop Bridge after 58 kms (36 miles), though we can call in to refill our bottles at the Spring Wood picnic centre above Whalley after 35 kms (22 miles).

It will be slow, slow, slow. Don't come along and complain about it being slow. IT WILL BE SLOW! (We won't be riding quickly ... ;))

Let's meet at Hebden Bridge.

Meet at Market Place car park, Hebden Bridge 08:45, set off at 09:00, Todmorden 09:20, Manchester Road traffic lights 10:15, Spring Wood picnic centre 11:00

Map showing HB car parks.

The centre of Hebden Bridge is now pedestrianised and there is a one-way system. To get to the car park turn right up Commercial Street as you come into HB from the Halifax direction, second left after about 100 yards by the White Lion. Follow that road round over the river. The car park is then on your right.

If you are coming from the Todmorden direction, turn left down Old Gate (one way street) at the end of Market Street, just after the Inn on the Bridge on your left. Follow the road round past the Hole in t'Wall. The car park is straight ahead on the right.

If anybody decides to turn up announced (it has happened before) make sure that you get to Market Place car park in good time because we won't be hanging about once all those officially riding have gathered!

We might be coming back at dusk so remember to bring lights.

Riders
  • ColinJ
  • potsy
  • oldfatfool
  • Pennine-Paul (meet at Todmorden)
  • bromptonfb (meet at Manchester Road lights)
Who fancies joining us? :hello:

More details later when my friends and family stop phoning me!!!! :wacko:

(Okay - they've stopped! :thumbsup:)

More details later when my friends stop phoning me!!!! :wacko:

Your just showing off now!!

Interested so long as the weather isn't -6 again :surrender:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
i'm in, but only from manchester rd/rossendale rd traffic lights to and from. i've not had a decent ride since december, and need to take it easy. if i get left behind that's ok.

what time will you hit rossy rd?

potsy

Rambler
i'm in, but only from manchester rd/rossendale rd traffic lights to and from. i've not had a decent ride since december, and need to take it easy. if i get left behind that's ok.

:laugh: You've obviously not read the report from the last ride we did.

Be good to see you again, seems like ages since we were on a ride together :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Your just showing off now!!

My internet went down! Then my sister phoned me back - again! Then I had something to eat and noticed the track cycling from London was on the BBC so I just watched that for an hour, and here I am, finally back at a working computer!

Interested so long as the weather isn't -6 again :surrender:
Supposed to be a low of -1 overnight, and 0-4 degrees during the day, but there will be a windchill on top of that so dress warm!

I'll be up for it,take it you'll be turning right at Todmorden
If so I'll meet u there ^_^
Yes - same arrangement as before - 09:00 from Hebden Bridge, 09:20 Todmorden ...

Ah, Shaun - it will be good to have you with us again! About 10:15 at the lights unless somebody has a bike problem on the way. I assume that you will have your phone with you, number xxxxxxxx421? (If you have changed numbers, PM your new one.)

If anybody wants to meet us at Spring Wood, Whalley, we'll be calling in there briefly at about 11:00

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Colin - I'll see how tomorrow goes. If I've got the legs I might join you since SWMBO is away.

What time do you normally make it back for? I need to be back in Dewsbury before 5.30pm (i.e. back by 4.30-ish)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
My internet went down! Then my sister phoned me back - again! Then I had something to eat and noticed the track cycling from London was on the BBC so I just watched that for an hour, and here I am, finally back at a working computer!

Supposed to be a low of -1 overnight, and 0-4 degrees during the day, but there will be a windchill on top of that so dress warm!

Yes - same arrangement as before - 09:00 from Hebden Bridge, 09:20 Todmorden ...

Ah, Shaun - it will be good to have you with us again! About 10:15 at the lights unless somebody has a bike problem on the way. I assume that you will have your phone with you, number xxxxxxxx421? (If you have changed numbers, PM your new one.)

If anybody wants to meet us at Spring Wood, Whalley, we'll be calling in there briefly at about 11:00

yep same one. text me when you set off and when you get somewhere near the tod road junction lights. if you get to the rossy rd lights before me that's ok just carry on, but let me know so i'm not waiting and i'll try to catch up.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Colin - I'll see how tomorrow goes. If I've got the legs I might join you since SWMBO is away.

What time do you normally make it back for? I need to be back in Dewsbury before 5.30pm (i.e. back by 4.30-ish)
I think potsy and I got back at about 5:30 pm last time, but I'd completely run out of steam before Padiham so I was riding even more slowly from there on. If you left us at Spring Wood and rode back at your own pace on the A671 (missing out the slower scenic lane through Read) and A646, I reckon you should be able to get back to HB by 4:30 pm.

yep same one. text me when you set off and when you get somewhere near the tod road junction lights. if you get to the rossy rd lights before me that's ok just carry on, but let me know so i'm not waiting and i'll try to catch up.
Well, we were bang on 10:15 at the lights last time. I can't see us being more than 5 minutes either side of that unless somebody has a bike problem. I'll text you to confirm us setting off and then you can just add 70-75 minutes to that. If we have a problem on the way, I'll let you know.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Not for me this time folks. Working Sat and Sun nights so I will be sound asleep while you lot are plodding around your metric 100. I still have my eye on the April ride, just need to get around the issue of a beery social commitment on the saturday night before it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Not for me this time folks. Working Sat and Sun nights so I will be sound asleep while you lot are plodding around your metric 100. I still have my eye on the April ride, just need to get around the issue of a beery social commitment on the saturday night before it.
Oo you callin' a plodder? :boxing:

(I won't be riding as fast as a plodder!)

Top Bottom