Stopping fake news on social media

Hitchington

Lovely stuff

Really interesting video by George Monboit discussing the theme of the use of social media by oligarchs to ensure sympathetic world leaders are elected to protect their interests.
Trump, Johnson, Bolsonaro, Modi... on paper none of these leaders have the credentials to become elected leaders of their respective countries, but have been helped to power by the spurious and clever use of social media of certain political parties and organisations, and the some of the voting public's unquestioning belief in this fake news.

Interesting to see how Finland have dealt with this new threat to democracy and the challenges which it brings to societies around the world, but especially in what we regard as the "free Western world."

Orwell's "1984" is often held up as a warning to how our civilisation could end up if we abandon our freedoms. But I think Huxley's "Brave New World" is a better model to compare to; our pleasure seeking society has been blinded to the creeping threats by hypnotising us with what pours out of our blue lit screens, numbing us to other people's predicaments, telling us that other groups are the problem, we're better off "going alone" and we can't trust the very people who have been fighting for our rights and freedoms for decades before.

"But we're not North Korea, or Iran, or Venezuela!" you say. This is the issue with our perception of what we think about our "Western democracy." Just because we can't obviously see the control, or totalitarianism it doesn't mean it's not there.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The Press have been printing spurious 'facts' in print media for decades to support their political leanings and pander to the prejudices of their readers... this is the downside of freedom of the press. The same thing is happening on social media. I'm not sure what can be done without bringing and end to freedom of the press. :blush:

Levo-Lon

Guru
The Press have been printing spurious 'facts' in print media for decades to support their political leanings and pander to the prejudices of their readers... this is the downside of freedom of the press. The same thing is happening on social media. I'm not sure what can be done without bringing and end to freedom of the press. :blush:

Stop certain members posting from other social media sites would be a start:laugh:

OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
That's a good point, but I like what Finland and other Scandinavian countries are doing to combat fake news. Something which I think should be made part of the national curriculum in this country, even offered to adults as part of a wider drive to raise awareness.

It's interesting how the "QAnon" is taking hold here with prominent figures from fringe politics promoting this absurd conspiracy theory as the truth. Even Turning Point who use a fake news agenda to further their far right agenda now have a foothold in the UK thanks to endorsements by Farage, Rees Mogg and Patel.

Education is the key, but I can't see a government who rely on fake news to help them win elections tackling this issue for future voting generations.

Reactions: C R
OP
Hitchington

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
But of course there needs to be more action taken by social media sites to edit or stop what content is published on their sites.

Some would scream "what about freedom of speech?" But freedom of speech merely means that an individual shouldn't have the threat of being arrested by the ruling government because that government disagrees with what they say. Freedom of speech doesn't stop a social media site from not publishing fake news because it's, well, fake. No does it stop anyone with views which may cause harm to an individual or group of people from being prevented from spreading those harmful views. E.g. racists claiming a minority group will do society harm just because of who they are.

But so much of this content is allowed to go unchecked. Is it not too much to ask for controls to be applied to prevent harmful content from being published, including obviously fake news which may become interpreted as real by others?

Everything should be corroborated with source and research. If I were to present my dissertation without reference to resources and research then it would never be accepted.

The same should go for, for example, claims that the Democrat party in the USA, along with George Soros and the Clintons are running a paedophile ring as described by QAnon. This content is widely published and believed all over the internet. Why are social media platforms continuing to publish this? Where is the evidence (facts from research) that this is true? Why am I even asking for this, but millions of people (including an increasing amount in the UK) believe this to be unquestionably true.

Reactions: C R

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Clicks equal income. Thats the model of business in the internet age.
clickbait is a huge problem and is almost always accompanied by fakenews, or at best very skewed news.
its why I like the BBC. They get stick from both sides so must be doing something right.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The same should go for, for example, claims that the Democrat party in the USA, along with George Soros and the Clintons are running a paedophile ring as described by QAnon. This content is widely published and believed all over the internet. Why are social media platforms continuing to publish this? Where is the evidence (facts from research) that this is true? Why am I even asking for this, but millions of people (including an increasing amount in the UK) believe this to be unquestionably true.
That's the problem... the social media platforms aren't publishing it, their users are; people like me and you with a username and password have the privilege to post what we want on any platform we're signed up to. The mods here on CC have a tough enough job trying to police the content posted (for want of a better phrase)... trying to keep tabs on platforms as huge as facebook, twitter, etc. with their millions (billions?) of users, I believe is nigh on impossible.

As you say, education is the key. What is it that they're doing in Scandinavia?

There is an irony in someone taking to social media to complain about fake news - on social media.

Monbiot is a sound enough lad, albeit hidebound by his fixed ideology.

He must realise that his video must be treated in the same way as the ones he complains of.

That is start on the basis it's a load of cobblers and don't take a word of it as gospel.

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
There is an irony in someone taking to social media to complain about fake news - on social media.

Monbiot is a sound enough lad, albeit hidebound by his fixed ideology.

He must realise that his video must be treated in the same way as the ones he complains of.

That is start on the basis it's a load of cobblers and don't take a word of it as gospel.
Or one could use critical thinking skills and judge each piece on its merits.......and for guidance Hume's Of Miracles is a good place to start.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The opinions, reports of news and tweets posted by people on social media should be given no more weight that the usual bollocks spouted by people leaning on a bar. Most people manage to filter out stuff in the pub and they ought to apply the same critical powers on social media.

Or one could use critical thinking skills and judge each piece on its merits.......and for guidance Hume's Of Miracles is a good place to start.
That's what I said, but the starting point for anything on social media must be suspicion.

Unlike some, I don't imagine everyone else is gullible.

Facebook/twitter has a firm and well merited reputation for being full of crap.

The public know this, and treat what they see on there accordingly.

Brompton Bruce

Coffeeeeeeeee pleeeeease
That's what I said, but the starting point for anything on social media must be suspicion.

Unlike some, I don't imagine everyone else is gullible.

Facebook/twitter has a firm and well merited reputation for being full of crap.

The public know this, and treat what they see on there accordingly.
I don’t do Facebook but I wouldn’t throw the baby out with the bath water with Twitter. There’s some really useful stuff on it. It’s just a case of being a bit sceptical.

Top Bottom