Stove Fuel In Europe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

morehawes

Just researching my camping stove for my 2-3 month tour of Europe later this year. I have a question for more experienced tourers...

What fuel is common in Europe?!

I'm talking gas canisters mainly. A multifuel is a little out of my price range and from what I read on here the availability of meths could be a problem (not wanting to start a trangia debate mind - only what people have come across from experience!)

Any input would be really appreciated!

Thanks,
Joe.

Percy

Depends entirely on where in Europe you're going.

OP
OP
morehawes

morehawes

Not 100% sure on my route yet, as many countries as possible. This is why i'm trying to find out what options I have. I'll want to go with whatever is most common which is why I ask.

Joe.

Percy

Well canisters aren't a huge problem in most places but you might have to search a bit in some countries. The ones that require you to pierce them are more common than the self-sealing variety, but both can certainly be found in Western Europe.

If you're heading to Romania/Bulgaria, for example, you might not be able to find them so easily - but whether that's a problem or not depends on how long you're there and also how much you intend to cook. I tend to just have a hot meal in the evening and a normal sized canister would last me up to a month, so if you're gonna have one plus a spare in your pannier and you're only passing through you'll be fine.

OP
OP
morehawes

morehawes

Percy said:
I tend to just have a hot meal in the evening and a normal sized canister would last me up to a month, so if you're gonna have one plus a spare in your pannier and you're only passing through you'll be fine.

Oh wow, thats really good to know thanks. What size are we talking? I've been looking around today and a medium one by Coleman I think was a '250' and a big one was '500'.

Cheers,
Joe.

Percy

250 I think. You can get cooking kettles/pots that they fit in perfectly for storage, so you don't have any 'dead' space in you pannier (i.e. the canister is stored in the pot).

If you eat out a bit as well it'll obviously last you longer.

I took two full ones away with me when I went last year and with eating out a bit and cooking a bit they last me ages.

What sort of route/countries do you have in mind?

OP
OP
morehawes

morehawes

'Dead' space hits the nail on the head. Thats been something i've been thinking about. Cheers for the info on the canister, really helpful.

Yeah just starting to think about a route now. I've literally just finished uni (today!) and planning a route is my first job now i'm free! I'm thinking of getting the ferry to Amsterdam and then heading towards Germany. I really want to go to Berlin and I hear the German rivers are amazing for cycling. Other than that i'm as yet undecided. Obviously open to suggestions!

Joe.

Percy

I went across the South of Germany, so didn't really follow any rivers there (just crossed the Rhine), apart from the Danube. But that would probably be my suggestion from my experience -following the Danube through Germany, into Vienna then Bratislava then Budapest - beautiful riding, some amazing citites and such a change in culture.

Having said that, if I went that way again I'd aim for mountains, so it really depends on what floats your boat! From what you're saying I'd just go out there with the vague plan you have and see where it takes you - that's normally the best way.

OP
OP
morehawes

morehawes

Oh yeah for sure. Just want to get an idea of a rough route and see where I end up - still lots to think about though! Thanks for the recommendation, I want to do a bit of everything.

JackE

Über Member
camping gas

Camping Gaz CV cannisters (blue) are more readily available in Europe than the "screw-in" type we get here. For £10 you can get an adaptor which converts a CV "twist-lock" cannister to accept a gas stove with a standard threaded fitting. Mine is made by Markhill and distributed here by Vaude UK. Contact: www.actionoutdoors.co.uk.
Not sure I'd recommend the pierceable cannisters as I've heard a few "hairy" stories via the Backpackers Club of people burning holes in their flysheets because the rubber seals weren't good enough.

Top Bottom