Straight bars/drops

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldleggs

Über Member
After completing my first long tour 6 weeks in France. My biggest problem was pain across my shoulders a few people l have spoken to said its due to the drop handle bars l have on the bike. And that changing the drop bars for straight bars could resolve the problem....opinions please.

oldleggs

aberal

Guru
I think I can safely say outright that swapping drops for straights will not resolve the problem and frankly, the people telling you this are talking tosh. Drop bars give you 5 or 6 positions to choose from whereas straight bars can offer perhaps 2 or 3. You problem is almost certainly caused by some element of your positioning on the bike or if the bike doesn't fit properly - the bike itself. Take it down to your LBS and ask them to check whether the fit suits you or not.

sabian92

Über Member
I'd put it more on how you're seated instead of the bars. I went from straights to drops and now I'm so much more comfy, so their argument doesn't hold water.

Zoiders

Get wider drops.

With a choice of up to 46cm bars these days there is no need to be hunched up on the old 38 or 40cm bars that were once the default options.

pkeenan

Über Member
I like you pkeenan. Butterfly bars and a Rohloff. Don't tell me you have a SON hub as well?

Ha well! Yes... :smile:

Top Bottom