W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
I have downloaded Ride with GPS and have even remembered my password so will probably go back to that as it is all I need.

There's plenty you can't do on RWGPS without a subscription too.

(Although with Strava's horribly slow new mapping 'feature' I will probably still use RWGPS for planning new rides).

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Why would you consider that instead of keeping your details offline, such as shared between your phone and your laptop/PC?
I used to do that for a long time. I changed because the online solutions are functionally better and more convenient to use.

But that's getting way off topic. For another thread maybe.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I have an account on strava but mainly just see what routes others are using, ive always preferred Ride With GPS for my routing as its much better so nothing has really changed for me, at the end of the day these sites have to make money or what is the point of providing them.

went to look at this morning's ride on Strava only to find most of the usful features are now only available to subscribers. :cursing:

you can only see the top 10 for each segment and you can also no longer see your own historic times just the overall stats (length, duration and elevation)

I'm unemployed (thanks Covid!) and am making the most of the good weather but with no income I can't justify non-essential expenditure.:sad:

There's been so little development of the app in the last couple of years, I don't see how they can justify charging for it.

A
Not ideal and I feel its a bad decision to charge exactly for your reason but they are doing a 60d trial (just remember to cancel it before your charged) :hugs:

GoatBeard

Free member rather than a paid up one. The daily segment times were an interesting curio and sort of semi-fun to look at. They're gone but I'm not missing them. But seriously, what's the big deal about them? The numbers that some of the other riders do are complete fiction, e-bikes are pretty much indistinguishable from any other making any meaningless comparison hopeless in all honesty. For example, nearby there's some super steep and genuinely LETHAL downhill stretches nearby. The times I see recorded going down those segments make me want to wince or cry, pure suicide. I'm talking narrow steep blind bends with potholes single lanes and oncoming traffic.

mustang1

Guru
I've gotta re-visit my Strava membership and figure out wth I'm paying for. I don't mind paying but if I don't need the features then I'll go to the free model.

That reminds me, I have to cancel my flight simulator subscription too coz flying on iPad just ain't the same as PC.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Free member rather than a paid up one. The daily segment times were an interesting curio and sort of semi-fun to look at. They're gone but I'm not missing them. But seriously, what's the big deal about them? The numbers that some of the other riders do are complete fiction, e-bikes are pretty much indistinguishable from any other making any meaningless comparison hopeless in all honesty. For example, nearby there's some super steep and genuinely LETHAL downhill stretches nearby. The times I see recorded going down those segments make me want to wince or cry, pure suicide. I'm talking narrow steep blind bends with potholes single lanes and oncoming traffic.
What's your point? Are you sour because you suspect everyone above you on the segment leaderboard of the local climb was riding an e-bike? Or is it the fear that e-bikes are monstering the downhill segments, which would be odd, as e-bikes are not normally beneficial down road descents.

Jody

Stubborn git
For example, nearby there's some super steep and genuinely LETHAL downhill stretches nearby. The times I see recorded going down those segments make me want to wince or cry, pure suicide. I'm talking narrow steep blind bends with potholes single lanes and oncoming traffic.

Some people enjoy risk and the associated highs it brings with it. The same (or very similar) speeds would happen with or without Strava, but you wouldn't see it as you weren't there.

When i look on the leader board i see that some people have ridden that segment faster than me, in fact most of them:laugh: just spurs me on to do a bit better next time. I don't doubt the numbers of the top few riders, they are just that much faster than i could ever dream of being.

I suppose the downhill segments are more of a thrill seeking experience like a bungee jump, ok if it's not busy or wet:ohmy:

D

Deleted member 26715

Some people enjoy risk and the associated highs it brings with it. The same (or very similar) speeds worthless events would happen with or without Strava the Internet, but you wouldn't see it as you weren't there.
FTFY

figbat

Slippery scientist
I love looking at the times of people up the top of leaderboards and marvelling at how they can be, say, twice as quick as me up a Cat 4 climb. Then I discover some are pro's or club racers and I admire their ability all the more knowing what it takes me to do the same roads as them.

Mostly though my main target is PRs. Going faster than I did before helps me track my progress when also taking into account my level of exertion, heart rate etc. These days I am casually knocking off PRs on segments I used to turn myself inside out for. Some of it is the trail conditions, some is the bike, but some is me. On a few very rare occasions my PR happens to be top 10. In two places it is top one and I'll admit that one of those KOMs I tried for 4 years to capture and when I did it felt good. The quasi-competitive nature is quite compelling to me and as a result I am faster and fitter than I used to be; I don't know if I would have stuck at it the same without the tracking and monitoring.

The OP makes a point about e-bikes in his locality probably bagging all the KOM's, must be a strange place. in my locality I know via Strava or personally a lot of the people who have the KOMs or are in the top 10, none are on e-bikes, more likely once in a while someone gets in their car and forgets to turn their garmin/mobile off. They are soon flagged and disapear from the leader board.
Leaderboards can be interesting especially looking at people I know at what their heart rates or powers were etc.
They can be a good source of inspiration, my partner used to tell me I was a huge child going for age group KOMs etc. Recently however she has put herself in my hands for some structured training and set her goals on competing in the forthcoming CX seaso and climbing large hills around here. We went for a ride yesterday and took on a steep hill ( by the miller and Carter restaraunt in basildon ) and managed it all the way and then took on the biggest hill here, ( Old Church Lane Hill) she stopped once but then made it to the top on her bike.( to much applause from a guy cycling down) When I uploaded it I noticed only 5 women over 50 had bothered posting their ride, she then became very interested on how fast she had to be to get into the top 3 on both hills LOL.

pawl

Legendary Member
I wasn’t originally going to subscribe but changed my mind I used to check the segments out of interest then I noticed that there is section for over 75 so decided to subscribe.of the segments I regularly ride i managed to make the top ten on some segments the highest being sixth.At 79 I have new lease of life Bloody old fool🚴🏻‍♂️🚴‍♀️😰

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I wasn’t originally going to subscribe but changed my mind I used to check the segments out of interest then I noticed that there is section for over 75 so decided to subscribe.of the segments I regularly ride i managed to make the top ten on some segments the highest being sixth.At 79 I have new lease of life Bloody old fool🚴🏻‍♂️🚴‍♀️😰
I got a 10th place female this afternoon, but first in my age group. :laugh:

Top Bottom