W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

straas

Matt
Do you ride with an anemometer? I'm interested in knowing how you get such accurate air speed indication?

I use mywindsock.com to get an idea of headwind time.

You can also bring up routes you've ridden and see what the wind will be like on them that day. I find that useful so I know if I need to conserve a lot of energy for the home leg.

More than once I've gone out, averaging 38km/h for about 20km, thinking I'll be the next selection for the tour. Only to pass the half way point and realise I've had a decent tailwind, and absolutely die on the way home.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
How many times?

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A TAILWIND.

Either there's a headwind, or you're going well.

Venod

Eh up
More than once I've gone out, averaging 38km/h for about 20km, thinking I'll be the next selection for the tour. Only to pass the half way point and realise I've had a decent tailwind, and absolutely die on the way home.
I have nearly always plan my rides with headwind out tailwind home in mind, do others do this? It's been ingrained since I started riding more than half a century ago.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have nearly always plan my rides with headwind out tailwind home in mind, do others do this? It's been ingrained since I started riding more than half a century ago.
I seem to find I have a headwind no matter what direction I ride in, it seems to change direction as much as I do.

PaulSB

Legendary Member

We try but usually fail. We have a saying in my group "let's go north." Once a guy said "let's go north, the weather will be better." It peed down and blew a gale all day. 😄

I seem to find I have a headwind no matter what direction I ride in, it seems to change direction as much as I do.

We have rides like this, most rides seem to be at least 50/60% headwind. If we head west over flat terrain and it's blowing a south-westerly we get headwind out and back no matter what we try!!!!

Mike_P

Guru
Sometimes but then again it can be useful going upgrade with the tail wind outbound knowing a return onto the wind is largely downwards.

Mike_P

Guru
Sometimes but then again it can be useful going upgrade with the tail wind outbound knowing a return into the wind is largely downwards.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I found the missing tailwinds! :laugh:

I have been riding up the A646 from Todmorden towards Burnley a lot during lockdown, usually on my singlespeed bike which has a 52/19 gear. The road in that direction is a 2% uphill drag for about 5.5 km. Not steep enough to worry about in that gear, but enough to make it feel like a long slog.

4 or 5 times recently, however, I have whizzed up the drag convincing myself that I have finally started to get fit, only to be bitterly disappointed at the other end when I u-turn into a wall of wind! It has felt as hard coming back down the valley as it was going up it in the first place.

GetFatty

Über Member
I've just noticed that it's £4/month if you pay for the whole year in one go or £7/month. It's strange but that £3 has convinced me I don't need it

vickster

Legendary Member
I've just noticed that it's £4/month if you pay for the whole year in one go or £7/month. It's strange but that £3 has convinced me I don't need it
Not strange, gets people to pay up front rather than cancel in the winter months...

Top Bottom