W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Generally I don't use Strava that much, but for longer more memorable rides, though I do think it's the best reason for owning a smartphone there is.

But I've been using it every day through lockdown, and was idly wondering what my lockdown heatmap looks like, which was always a subscription service.

It will give me a bit of inspiration to seek out untravelled roads, plus I quite like the masochism of seeing just how much faster my mates are uphill than me. And I hate the constant neverending ads on line, so subscription seems better.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Komoot is looking like a good option for premium membership, especially if I plan more off road routes - just have to see if it will work with an old Samsung S5 (that's expendable). I currently use the free version occasionally.

D

Deleted member 26715

Komoot is looking like a good option for premium membership, especially if I plan more off road routes - just have to see if it will work with an old Samsung S5 (that's expendable). I currently use the free version occasionally.
Komoot is quite good, but still it's routing isn't great, from experience it routes you down footpaths which unless you want to lift your bike over styles all the time is not good. It also uses Openstreetmaps underneath so as long as you are prepared to edit them to add the missing bridleways it's not complete.

stuarttunstall

I’ve been having issues with Wahoo to Strava for weeks. Need to have another look at what Wahoo sent in response to query

I had an issue with my Wahoo ELMNT syncing with Strava a few weeks back, I removed Strava access from the Wahoo, and Wahoo access from Strava and re granted access and that seemed to work..

I think an update may have caused issues, but been OK since

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Running a business model which effectively says that to get what you want from the app you have to pay a subscription is a risky strategy. There aren't many that have managed to do this
There are, apparently, 50m registered Strava Users. I have no idea how many are "active" but it must be quite a lot of millions. That dataset is valuable (it represents what is probably a relatively high spending segment of the cycling community)

My hope is that they have a rethink when they see the membership analysis over the next couple of months. Maybe they have got it right and they get a load of people migrating into subscription and the rest continuing to post rides in the normal way. Result for Strava if this happens. But if a lot of those non subscription members stop posting rides then they've shot themselves in the foot

I don't know their business but it seems a lot of successful similar businesses have either gone down the route of free to use with embedded ads and selling the data and/or enhancing the premium product leaving the free to use product as is. Not many have managed to reduce the free to use functionality to force people either to subscribe or leave

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Komoot is quite good, but still it's routing isn't great, from experience it routes you down footpaths which unless you want to lift your bike over styles all the time is not good. It also uses Openstreetmaps underneath so as long as you are prepared to edit them to add the missing bridleways it's not complete.

I'd heard you've got to be careful with the footpath issue !

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have a sneaky suspicion that Strava data harvesting won't suffer much at all over the next few years. Despite adding a charge for viewing data there is no charge to upload and tens of millions of people have already got their data uploading automatically as it syncs via other platforms. For example, I have not even used MapMyRun for more than 5 years, yet they will have still being receiving a couple of thousand activities just because it automatically syncs because I ticked a box many years ago.

D

Deleted member 26715

I'd heard you've got to be careful with the footpath issue !
Last one it routed me into a private drive, with big gates & high walls, I figured it was a footpath/bridleway that somebody had illegally blocked, but when I got back it wasn't shown on rowmaps as being either. Problem as my old Developers used to say garbage in garbage out, so if streetmaps is incorrect the routing will be wrong, not sure how many people update streetmaps & how often Komoot pull the data in.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There will be lots of different segments of users all of whom may react differently, from the dormant uploaders as mentioned by @Milkfloat to the paid up subscribers happy to have their decision to subscribe justified as mentioned by @Roger Longbottom with tons of other subgroups in between - flouncers, grudging subscribers and so on. I bet the work providing the data to support their decisions was a lot of fun.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Generally I don't use Strava that much, but for longer more memorable rides, though I do think it's the best reason for owning a smartphone there is.

But I've been using it every day through lockdown, and was idly wondering what my lockdown heatmap looks like, which was always a subscription service.

It will give me a bit of inspiration to seek out untravelled roads, plus I quite like the masochism of seeing just how much faster my mates are uphill than me. And I hate the constant neverending ads on line, so subscription seems better.

VeloViewer will give you untraveled places and only £10 a year. Check out max square and cluster as well.

Top Bottom