W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I didn’t think it was. I know CC is a much smaller enterprise than Strava, but the same principles apply, I think. I do use ad-blockers for general browsing but turn them off if I become a heavy user of any site, including this one. I wasn’t aware there was a subscription option here, so will investigate.
Have a look at this thread from Shaun. It's a voluntary donation to support the site and be ad free

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/cycle-chat-account-upgrade-advertisement-removal.242531/

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
@PaulSB I'm not interested in segments personally, but as someone who has been playing with GPS units for over 20 years, from the eatly incredibly clunky and simple units, there is something very satisfying about your description. This is the kind of application that could only be dreamed of only a few years ago.

dodgy

I find many TV programs boring and unrelatable. I solve this conundrum by not fecking watching them.

You might like to try this approach with other people's records of their sessions online. It might just work. Its a long shot but it might be worth a try. ;)

If TV was like my Strava feed it would be 5 episodes of Mrs Brown's boys every night when you're hoping to see an episode of Father Ted that you haven't seen yet.

Besides, who watches TV live these days :laugh: I haven't watched live TV in over 20 years and I actually (going against the Cycle Chat grain here) really enjoy TV. My TV 'feed' is a perfectly curated list of stuff I want to watch.

You seem oddly concerned that I don't enjoy seeing virtual / pretend rides in Strava 🤷‍♂️:laugh:

I guess the answer is to unfollow people who post almost nothing other than Zwift rides 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, done with this one, just having a laugh really. Take it easy.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've already been clear about it. I find them boring and unrelateable. If they're important to you, great, mark them as private. Or you could just view them on the platform they were created on.

You don't have to look, or even use strava, but it does come with an element of social media which means you might get to see stuff that doesn't float your boat, it's unreasonable to assert that people shouldn't share the ride because you specifically have a poor emotional response to it, others may well enjoy the shared ride data.

Brads

I miss the following:

Compare my segment efforts against my previous efforts on same segment

Compare my segment efforts to other riders on the same day

Compare my PBs to friends I follow

Whether that's worth £4 a month I will have to see

This, very much.
After yesterdays winds, I set record breaking times and am hovering just outside the top ten leaderboard on a couple and want to see where :laugh::laugh:

Comparing to others is a biggie, we have a great laugh trying to beat each other down trails so it's £4 a month from me I think.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
@Dogtrousers - happy you enjoyed my description. Thanks.

I'm far from obsessed by segments, I often get home to discover new PBs on segments I didn't know existed.

I like to compete with myself on climbs as I feel this is where it really is me against the climb. Flats are OK but too many factors come in to play; group ride, wind, etc. I have to admit to recently setting myself some climbing targets and I'm pleased to have taken some age group leaderboards but this is more to do with measuring myself against people I respect as excellent climbers.

postman

Legendary Member
Garmin is my main account anyway, so I've lost nothing. Whereas Strava have lost a user and some time subscriber. No one strong arms me.
1590323598238.png
Drago that's his name.. Your first job ,make it look like an accident.Nobody slates Strava.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Can see the difference today . The monthly mileage graph has gone from my feed
If you enter the distance challenge each month, you can track your total mileage (in kms) there & compare mileage totals against those you follow :okay:

I've not signed up yet, but think I'm going to. I've used it for about 6 years for free, so probably a owe them a few years subs 🤔

13 rider

Guru
If you enter the distance challenge each month, you can track your total mileage (in kms) there & compare mileage totals against those you follow :okay:

I've not signed up yet, but think I'm going to. I've used it for about 6 years for free, so probably a owe them a few years subs 🤔
Yes that's what I've been doing but did like comparing this month to last .
I'm thinking I will sign up as well . I would sign up for the free 60 days now if you didn't have to enter your card details just to see if it's what I want

Last edited:

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Seems a little harsh to move so many things over from free to premium, but if a company has been around for 11 years and they have yet to turn a profit, it's also understandable, IMO.

I've paid for it most of the years I've used it, the extra little titbits of info was always interesting to look at, and I'm always happy to support one major cycling platform, and I chose Strava as its the 'home' of all my cycling data.

Maybe they could offer free users the choice of more options back with adverts?

The route planner has killed the Veloviewer explorer square overlay Chrome extension though so back to multi monitoring...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I'm not too worried about the all time segment boards as I have no chance of featuring high up on those now, but strangely I am missing the access to the 'this year' segment boards. Also the route planner was useful for on & off road mixed rides as you could swap from cycling mode to running mode when planning the off road sections. Seriously considering a year's subscription when I get paid.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Seems a little harsh to move so many things over from free to premium, but if a company has been around for 11 years and they have yet to turn a profit, it's also understandable, IMO.

I've paid for it most of the years I've used it, the extra little titbits of info was always interesting to look at, and I'm always happy to support one major cycling platform, and I chose Strava as its the 'home' of all my cycling data.

Maybe they could offer free users the choice of more options back with adverts?

The route planner has killed the Veloviewer explorer square overlay Chrome extension though so back to multi monitoring...
I read a post from Ben at Veloviewer that he's working on a new updated extension so the overlay will work with the new Strava mapping.

Top Bottom