stretching after your commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scouserinlondon

After a 7 week hiatus over Nov/December I'm feeling that extra half a stone of lard from not doing any exercise over the festive period.

I'm back on it, cycling my 7 mile each way commute (in record time thanks to the new road bike) and also going to the gym three lunchtimes per week to focus on non-cardio, off the bike stuff.

As I've suddenly switched back from inactivity to a reasonable amount of activity I'm really feeling the burn, and I don't stretch after my commute.

Do you guys, does it help?

BSRU

A Human Being
I do not do any stretching, I just warm up and warm down on the bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No stretching for me.
My commute is 32 mile round trip. So after a few years of doing that everyday then I have no need to do any stretching. However if I am off the bike for any long period of time ie 3 weeks over Christmas (put on 6lbs) then I certainly do feel it. But a few days on the bike and i'm soon back to normal

Adasta

Is there any conclusive evidence to support stretching to avoid injury? I've read various pro- and anti-stretching arguments over the past few years...

To answer your question: I rarely, if ever, stretch. I probably should though since my flexibility is atrocious.

yello

Is there any conclusive evidence to support stretching to avoid injury?

I guess that depends on you - what you might find conclusive etc. But, yes, like you, I've read several bits and pieces over the years and am really none the wiser. As far as I can gather, for casual cycling, stretching before is of little benefit but perhaps more so after. Like others here, I don't stretch as a rule but warm up and down on the bike. That said, I will stretch IF I have any particular tightness in muscles after a ride - I'd say that helps.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I stretch before and after every ride. In fact, before and after any vigorous exercise.

I like to ride/run at a high effort level and I find that I get into my rhythm sooner and perform better after a good stretch.

Stretching makes the muscles more supple and less prone tearing during periods of exertion.

Having said that, my running mate, who’s fitter and faster than me, never stretches and gets along fine.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I stretch after every ride. But i have some problems with a ligament in my left knee, if i don't stretch, then i start to get a lot of knee pain.

My problem stems for my quads being built up quite a lot and they are pulling on my ligaments by my knee.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yes i stretch after every ride.

As i used to be able to do the splits etc from years of martial arts i like to keepa bit of flexibility into my old age.

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I stretch during my ride, all the places that have little movement. Neck, shoulders, elbows, wrists, lower back, hips, ankles. I do this whenever I stop at a red light. It helps afterwards as the is no stiffness at all.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
nope.i don't think i ride at a level of intensity which would require it.

that said as a rugby player my warm up consisted of finishing my pie and bending down to do up my laces.

I don't stretch before a ride, but I do take it easy for the first half mile or so as a warm up. After a ride then stretching out on the sofa is about it.
wink.gif

Top Bottom