Strongest Man Competiton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I was watching one of those "Strongest Man in the World" competitions last night. I have a question. There is one task where the contestants have to lift very heavy concrete (?) balls on to a wall. I cannot remember the name of it. The first ball weighs about 80kg and has to be lifted to a height taller than the contestant.

There are five balls and as the weight increases, the height that they have to be lifted, goes lower. The last ball weighs 150kg and is lifted to slightly above waist height. My question is this? Who lifts them down again. You do not want to have one dropped on your foot. :wacko: The contestants could not be asked to do it, could they?

BTW I also watch the Timber Sports and the Wresting Channel. :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
It's the Atlas Stones. I've always wondered who gets them down :biggrin:.

Last week I met the North East's Strongest man. HUGE bloke :wacko:.

I've not watched the Worlds Strongest man for years, it not the same now Geoff Capes aint in it, well it is :biggrin:, same events ect. Then again when I was a kid I used to like wresting with Big Daddy and Giant Haystacks. Cant stand the American stuff though, Lets make up a Federation.

Oddjob62

Speicher said:
My question is this? Who lifts them down again. You do not want to have one dropped on your foot. :biggrin: The contestants could not be asked to do it, could they?

They stick some padding down next to the platform then just roll the stone off.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Jón Páll Sigmarsson was very impressive to watch. He used to run with the weights when others tottered under the load. A seriously fit and strong athelete when he was alive.

I'm sure they have fork lift trucks and ex competitors to move the heavy stuff around at the competitions.

The best I've managed to do is to do one flip of a 350kg wheel and tyre from my truck when it fell over while I was checking the brake shoes. I was then too knackered to put it back on the truck.

bobg

Über Member
Night Train said:
Jón Páll Sigmarsson was very impressive to watch. He used to run with the weights when others tottered under the load. A seriously fit and strong athelete when he was alive.

I'm sure they have fork lift trucks and ex competitors to move the heavy stuff around at the competitions.

The best I've managed to do is to do one flip of a 350kg wheel and tyre from my truck when it fell over while I was checking the brake shoes. I was then too knackered to put it back on the truck.

Less so after he died :sad: Sorry Night Train, couldn't resist it!

OP
OP
Speicher

Speicher

Vice Admiral
When I said The Wrestling Channel, perhaps I should have explained that I like the mixed martial arts programme. when it is mixture of kick boxing, boxing and some "ground work" - is that the right word?

I used to do a kick boxing "Exercise" class. All the actions of kick boxing, but not making contact with your opponent. I had to stop it when I started working unsocial hours. :sad: You also get extremely very hot, so it would be a good thing to do outdoors.

Abitrary

Britain's strongest man is my favorite sport, along with lady athletics.

walker

I've met Britains strongest man, he used to go to the gym just over the road from where I live, and used to drink (when he was alllowed) in my local too.

andygates

The strong ladies are lovely. Heini Koivunemi, I still carry a torch for you :wacko:

As for the stones, most of the event organisers are current or former strongmen too. There's a lot of spare beef around: two of them will lift the stones down onto an old truck tyre (to prevent damage to stone or floor).

Top Bottom