Stuck nut .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
We have been given a Bosch rotrak 40 lawnmower by our neighbour .Who has moved into an apartment .Blade is blunt so i bought a replacement .But the securing nut is stuck fast .Three days of 3-1 oil has not unstuck it .So just given it a splashing of gt 85 .Will leave it for a week .If it does not budge ,what can i do to help release it .Or i shall take it to a repairer to see if they can undo it .Any ideas ?

gary r

Guru
We have been given a Bosch rotrak 40 lawnmower by our neighbour .Who has moved into an apartment .Blade is blunt so i bought a replacement .But the securing nut is stuck fast .Three days of 3-1 oil has not unstuck it .So just given it a splashing of gt 85 .Will leave it for a week .If it does not budge ,what can i do to help release it .Or i shall take it to a repairer to see if they can undo it .Any ideas ?

take it to an engineering workshop or garage and get them to warm it up with an oxy acetelane torch,then try and undo it whilst hot (dont melt it!!)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I take it you are using a spanner to try to undo it. You could apply more leverage by putting a hollow metal tube over the spanner (an old car wheel nut trick). Also if the spanner is a closed kind you could try hitting it (when on the nut) with a hammer to see if there is any movement. Last I guess you could apply heat to try and expand it slightly (but if it's a petrol lawnmower maybe not a very safe option)

Night Train

Maker of Things
Check which waythe nut undoes.

It might be an anti clockwise thread to stop it spinning off.

When you have the correct direction you can fit the spanner and then wedge teh blade still and strike the end of the spanner, in the appropriate loosening direction, with a hammer. The small shock is often enough to set it free.

For a bit of DIY heating, if you have the resources, try an old but charged car battery, connect jump leads and then touch the leads to each side of the nut. The current flow through the nut will heat it fairly rapidly.

For electric heating see this video! Long but intersting, especially with all the flammable stuff under the bench.

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWJB8ujlvhk[/media]

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Thanks all .I did google after i put up on here .Tried one of the ways .No heat involved .Nearly rounded the head off .So going to spend a few quid and have it done correctly.Mower was £139 when new .But the blade works but is worn out .

Globalti

Legendary Member
Sharpen the blade in situ with an angle grinder?

Buy a new bolt and destroy the old one?

A sharp blow with a big hammer will break the bonds on the threads, penetrating oil will do nothing.

Mountfield bolts are plastic.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
nothing worse than your nuts getting stuck when not required

Top Bottom