Student Landlords.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
the first salvo has gone in.Little moans about a light bulb not working in a bedroom.It was out 12 months ago,we have it written down on our copy of the inventory.Bedroom two a loose hinge on a crappy wardrobe again this was on the inventory and it had to be fixed so it could be used.So wear and tear should cover that.daek silicone around the top end of bath and around handbasin.Should have used mould resistant silicone ours has never turned dark seven years after it was put in.Toilet seat dirty i cleaned the bathroom,dust on the towel rail,i cleaned that with a damp cloth and multi purpose spray.It seems the dishwasher has not been washed down,the fridge or the microwave,are these people serious finally the two suites are grubby well they were dirty the kids had to put throws over them ,i saw them many times when i visited.
Anyway we have asked for names dates invoices of all work taken before our two took over said flat/apartment.No mention of the important parts the decorating.Sad thing is we are going to give the next landlord a right going over when we take on the next flat in Edinburgh,that poor sod is going to get the flack,we will check and turn everything over before we sign for anything,even the dust on the return of the windows i cleaned the flats and all of them were black filthy dust traps,cleaned never.We are so angry,well they have fight on their hands,i am with the GMB a life member and help is free.Watch this space oh and the bond is safe with a third party.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
the first salvo has gone in.Little moans about a light bulb not working in a bedroom.It was out 12 months ago,we have it written down on our copy of the inventory.Bedroom two a loose hinge on a crappy wardrobe again this was on the inventory and it had to be fixed so it could be used.So wear and tear should cover that.daek silicone around the top end of bath and around handbasin.Should have used mould resistant silicone ours has never turned dark seven years after it was put in.Toilet seat dirty i cleaned the bathroom,dust on the towel rail,i cleaned that with a damp cloth and multi purpose spray.It seems the dishwasher has not been washed down,the fridge or the microwave,are these people serious finally the two suites are grubby well they were dirty the kids had to put throws over them ,i saw them many times when i visited.
Anyway we have asked for names dates invoices of all work taken before our two took over said flat/apartment.No mention of the important parts the decorating.Sad thing is we are going to give the next landlord a right going over when we take on the next flat in Edinburgh,that poor sod is going to get the flack,we will check and turn everything over before we sign for anything,even the dust on the return of the windows i cleaned the flats and all of them were black filthy dust traps,cleaned never.We are so angry,well they have fight on their hands,i am with the GMB a life member and help is free.Watch this space oh and the bond is safe with a third party.
Go @postman :bravo:

Slick

Guru
If the guy in Edinburgh knows what he's doing, he will expect nothing less.

Looks like you have this guy on the ropes though. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
It is getting better.My son has been directed on to a Google site,which is all about this firm in Manchester.I will not name them yet.But boy oh boy what scammers over 95% of the posters have gone through the same sort of trouble with them as my son.
What they put people through is disgusting,anyway now we have more info the GMB Union is going to be contacted.I feel as though i need a wrecking ball rather than a hammer to smash these people,and we will.The evidence of their wrongdoings is all on the www from other customers.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's good, but maybe you could do a bit more homework before entering into an agreement with shysters.

That's all very well, but back in my day, all the practical power was with the landlord. Legal obligations are moot, if the alternative is being homeless. You've just got to take whatever the deal is and hope for the best. A good comparison is workers' rights - fine if you've a strong union or are have a high paid and in demand skill. Not so good if you're going for low-paid casual work where you'll have to put up with whatever nonsense the give you, legal or otherwise.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
It has just got better.The body that holds the bond between landlord and tenant,has a full service on matters like this.The landlord/letting agent now have to prove their case then we provide our case and the mediate all for free to both parties.Mrs Postman has also found a second www site with even more damming complains about the shady tricks,this is going to be good.

Slick

Guru
That's all very well, but back in my day, all the practical power was with the landlord. Legal obligations are moot, if the alternative is being homeless. You've just got to take whatever the deal is and hope for the best. A good comparison is workers' rights - fine if you've a strong union or are have a high paid and in demand skill. Not so good if you're going for low-paid casual work where you'll have to put up with whatever nonsense the give you, legal or otherwise.
It's been some time since we've seen a strong union.

That may have been true back in the day before all landlords had to register with their local authority.

Mrs M

Guru
2865DFC5-0830-4BD3-A266-E590A9BC2B72.jpeg
8B340E6E-D134-4AB5-A9AD-5B54030E5B30.jpeg
F2E5DEE4-C10F-49B7-B446-2EF13EFE41BD.jpeg
617FEAEF-B0DB-42C5-A121-C09FCBC5F52A.jpeg
E9C69A4F-E4EC-426E-AE22-74B94652E725.jpeg
P
EDBE6F27-31CA-4C43-96E4-72923EEB21A0.jpeg
Unfortunately the whole Buy To Let shenanigans have left the market filled with amateur landlords with most of their attention on the final sale value and not providing a professional level service
Not all landlords are like this, happily :smile:
I gave up and sold up after my student tenants (many years ago) wrecked my wee flat.
They got their money back from the solicitor’s agent and I got a bill for the agents inspection :angry: I had to redecorate and recarpet.
Bought another flat 3 years ago and manage this ourselves. Only let to fully vetted tenants and current tenant been with us for 2 years. He keeps the property clean and tidy, pays rent on time, etc in return we provide a very competitively priced, well equipped and furnished flat where any issues or breakages are dealt with ASAP, currently awaiting quote for new windows and just had a new digital timer fitted after the hot water went off.

Slick

Guru
View attachment 419063 View attachment 419062 View attachment 419060 View attachment 419058 View attachment 419057 P View attachment 419056
Not all landlords are like this, happily :smile:
I gave up and sold up after my student tenants (many years ago) wrecked my wee flat.
They got their money back from the solicitor’s agent and I got a bill for the agents inspection :angry: I had to redecorate and recarpet.
Bought another flat 3 years ago and manage this ourselves. Only let to fully vetted tenants and current tenant been with us for 2 years. He keeps the property clean and tidy, pays rent on time, etc in return we provide a very competitively priced, well equipped and furnished flat where any issues or breakages are dealt with ASAP, currently awaiting quote for new windows and just had a new digital timer fitted after the hot water went off.
Ah, the other side of the coin. I won't bore you with my story bit it's similar.

Top Bottom