Stupid daydreaming cyclist.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
Me. Idiot.

I rode into the back of a van tonight coming down the hill into Stalybridge and have got a fairly sore elbow. All my fault, he did brake very sharply, but it's no excuse. He was very good about it and was much more concerned I was ok than worrying about his van.

Anyone done similar and can make me feel less of a pillock?

Simba

Specialized Allez 24 Rider
I nearly went in to the back of a hatchback once. It was raining hard and the lights just changed green, I looked to my left then when I looked forwards again the car in front was getting rather large. Missed him by literally cm's

Davidc

Guru
Yes. Next question.

It was a few years ago. (I chose a van as well. The driver was bemused when he discovered it was a bike had hit him. Cost me a new rim and a wheel to rebuild.)

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks Ian, that's perfect!

I wasn't following that close, I just sort of started wondering about how much the fancy mirror I'd seen in the fancy shop might be and turned and there the van was. Absolutely awful cycling.

sunnyjim

I rode into the back of a parked Renault 4 (dates it a bit...)  while cycling home from some late night liquid shopping around 11.00pm. The owner just happened to be approaching his car & helped me on my feet & off the road etc.  Very nice bloke. £10 changed hands in recompense for the smashed rear light cluster. No aggro. These things happen.

I nearly went into the back of a merc once; it decided to place it self in a gap in our peleton then slammed on its brakes. The owner claimed I'd scratched the back of it but given my wheel was un buckled and my sti's and fingers were unscathed, I doubted it; we exchanged details nonetheless but they never came back to me anyway. After a 5 minute pause I chased down the pack as I knew they always stop a a certain lay by 6 miles out of town, IIRC we averaged over 21mph. I guess I was lot fitter last year. Anyway that's when I decided to stop using the converted sirrus for club runs and by a new bike with better brakes :blush:

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops

- Baz -

Yes. Well, almost. Usual scenario. Waiting at lights, lights change, car in front moves off, I move off at the same time, car in front has set off too quickly as car in front of him has gone nowhere, so car in front of me brakes hard. I realise just in time and slam the anchors on. How I managed to miss his rear bumper I'll never know. All in the space of about six feet.

Another lesson learned (hopefully).

potsy

Rambler
Yes. Well, almost. Usual scenario. Waiting at lights, lights change, car in front moves off, I move off at the same time, car in front has set off too quickly as car in front of him has gone nowhere, so car in front of me brakes hard. I realise just in time and slam the anchors on. How I managed to miss his rear bumper I'll never know. All in the space of about six feet.

Another lesson learned (hopefully).
I did similar though mine was on a RAB,one car in front of me,lights changed to green we both set off and she decides to stop and give way despite having a green light,very nearly went in the back of her car,missed it by inches
ohmy.gif

I did similar though mine was on a RAB,one car in front of me,lights changed to green we both set off and she decides to stop and give way despite having a green light,very nearly went in the back of her car,missed it by inches
ohmy.gif

I did this in the days of clips but didn't miss. As the rear wheel came up I managed to put my hand on the hatchback rear door and ended up on the floor tangled up in the bike. Oh well.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Twice.....

Once as a teenager - jumped on bike and cycled into the back of a new Porche 928.....ahem.....neighbour was OK despite the dent in the tailgate.. :whistle:

Then commuting home down a dark lane in my mid 20's - mind on something else doing a steady 20 mph plus, then suddenly spotted a parked car...............last minute sweve, and took the full force of the impact on my right thigh....came off. Car OK. Cycled home just, but leg stiffened up really badly after that, could hardly get up or down stairs. Was off the bike for a week. :sad:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I cycled into the back of a huge dumper truck on Queens Road in Peckham about 15 years ago. I was motoring along at about 25mph in the right hand lane of a one way system. As I rounded a bend there was a breakdown in my lane so I had to switch to the lane to my left behind the truck just as he applied his brakes. If anyone is interested V-brakes are no match for the brakes on a truck. Cost me 25 stitches and a great deal of pain. I did manage 4 emergency services though: the AA guy attending the breakdown who tried to help but took one look at my injuries, looked at his first aid kit and just shook his head; the firemen from Queens Road firestation who were absolute stars and took my bike in for me; the police who kept asking me if I'd got the truck's reg number (it was no way his fault) and I was a touch harsh with them "If I'd seen his reg number I would have seen his brake lights come on" and the ambulance crew that took me to a hospital of my choice rather than the nearest one and gave me the full blues and twos. :hello:

Top Bottom