Stupid Mistake...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Made a bit of a silly mistake the other night and it goes something like this. Yes, I have an aluminium seatpost in my carbon bike but didn't know I couldn't clamp my carbon frame on the workstand, silly sod. I didn't clamp hard, used a rag and luckily the clamp, which I clamped gormlessly to the top tube, was made of rubber (from Edinburgh Cycle co-op). All I did was fiddled with the h-screw on the front mech to stop the chain flying off the big chainwheel and it was in there for around ten minutes.

So, I know it's a difficult one and there's no way of telling but do you think my frame will be okay? It won't be a mistake I'll make again but feel a touch stupid to be honest.

?

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Will have to have it x rayed,:-)

Blue

Legendary Member
I've never had a problem putting my carbon frame in a clamp, carbon bars on a stem, lights/computers, etc., on my carbon bars/stays etc., etc., etc., - just don't overtighten (same goes for a clamp etc., on any type of hollow tube, whatever it's made of!).

Blue

Legendary Member
Made a bit of a silly mistake the other night and it goes something like this. Yes, I have an aluminium seatpost in my carbon bike but didn't know I couldn't clamp my carbon frame on the workstand, silly sod. I didn't clamp hard, used a rag and luckily the clamp, which I clamped gormlessly to the top tube, was made of rubber (from Edinburgh Cycle co-op). All I did was fiddled with the h-screw on the front mech to stop the chain flying off the big chainwheel and it was in there for around ten minutes.

So, I know it's a difficult one and there's no way of telling but do you think my frame will be okay? It won't be a mistake I'll make again but feel a touch stupid to be honest.

?

Where did you get that bit of wisdom from?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Where did you get that bit of wisdom from?

it is fairly common knowledge, although how shops that sell the stuff can get away with not educating their customers is beyond me. See e.g. Trek's guide (section entitling Working with Carbon Parts), where they say "Do not squeeze the frame tubing with your fingers, and especially never clamp the tubing in any mechanical device, including car racks."!!!! :eek:

Blue

Legendary Member
Oh well, we live and learn.

Guess I'm only dreaming about the fact that none of my carbon bikes/parts has ever cracked or disintegrated. I must remember that I'm riding a figment of my imagination the next time I roll down a hill at 40mph on one of them.:laugh:

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
it is fairly common knowledge, although how shops that sell the stuff can get away with not educating their customers is beyond me. See e.g. Trek's guide (section entitling Working with Carbon Parts), where they say "Do not squeeze the frame tubing with your fingers, and especially never clamp the tubing in any mechanical device, including car racks."!!!! :eek:

Is there a hint of sarcasm there RAFN? :smile:

Blue, glad you've gotten away with it.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Oh well, we live and learn.

Guess I'm only dreaming about the fact that none of my carbon bikes/parts has ever cracked or disintegrated. I must remember that I'm riding a figment of my imagination the next time I roll down a hill at 40mph on one of them.:laugh:

Perhaps these pics can add colour to your dreams... ^_^

brokenflipflop

Veteran

?
You bloody idiot.

Top Bottom