Stupid Pedestrians!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Janeyb

I very nearly hit a pedestrian this morning! On the hospital grounds so at least she would have had quick treatment! :smile: There was a car in front of me which she waited for, she then looked straight at me and stepped into the road! I couldn't believe it and I'm afraid I shouted at her 'would you walk out in front of a car like that?'. I know it's Monday morning, and we're all a bit spaced out sometimes but it was like she just didn't register me despite making eye contact (which is why I didn't slow down!). Could have been nasty bet hey ho....we live to fight another commute.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Had the same thing on Friday, although sadly both of the ladies who didn't register a bike moving at 20mph were in their cars. Had a shout at the second one, didn't really make me feel any better :/

Being on the bike is still better than any other way of getting to work though...

Tharg2007

Veteran
I often wonder why people look at you then pull out anyway. I'm convinced their brain has trained itself to look for cars/busses/trucks anything else that is seen doesn't fit into these categories therefore the brain tells them to move out, completely automatic and completely brainless.

MERV

Tharg2007 said:
I often wonder why people look at you then pull out anyway. I'm convinced their brain has trained itself to look for cars/busses/trucks anything else that is seen doesn't fit into these categories therefore the brain tells them to move out, completely automatic and completely brainless.

I notice they generally look once and that's it.
They don't always see me even though I wear hi-viz although the average motorist does.(touchwood) (But that comes back to them not double checking of which the average motorist generally does)

Obviously you have to make allowances for this.

Perhaps if they don't hear an engine noise they think it's ok.

OP
OP
Janeyb

Janeyb

I generally make sure that I make allowances for pedestrians as well as vehicles and other cyclists. I have my brakes poised and always make sure I catch their attention - part of the cycle path from the train station to the hospital passes the front of houses and people always pull out without looking so am always hyper aware - you have to have your wits about you in Cambridge. But what got me this morning was that we actually made eye contact and she still walked in front of me. Luckily - I never cycle too fast around the hospital grounds as I know some idiots who do.

Must just be having a bad day though as I also forgot to mention that the resident peacock who lives in our village also walked out in front of me this morning as I left home....but that's probably coz he comes into my garden and I feed him so he was probably after his breakfast!

Maz

Guru
Janeyb said:
Luckily - I never cycle too fast around the hospital grounds as I know some idiots who do.
Are you on about Addenbrooke's?
I don't go there often, but whenever I do, the road layout drives me nuts.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
tdr1nka said:
Eye contact is that grey area on the road along with cars flashing their headlights, it is clearly a message but reveals nothing of their intent.

Tish and p'shaw!

It means flashing headlights means "I am going to let another car turn right across your path, cyclist" as any fule kno...

:biggrin:

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I get this faily often on my commute, they wait until the car has passed then lanch them selfs across the road in front of me. A shout of Oi, often works, especialy when the suddenly realise just how fast I am going.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Happens to me most nights just after leaving work, on the access road up to Edinburgh Park station. Lots of office workers wandering about on the edge of the road (there's no pavement on the left so rather than walk on the RHS of the road, they walk in the most dangerous place with their backs to oncoming vehicles). At the top of the road, it turns 90 degrees left - at this point, pedestrians have a nasty habit of stepping out into the road (and into my path) without looking. They seem to be using their ears rather than their eyes to check if it's safe to do so, and a bike is so quiet they think they can cross.

There are going to be an awful lot of pedestrians being flattened as more and more hybrid vehicles like the Toyota Prius appear, since they're silent in electric-powered mode !

I think we're going to have to re-introduce the Tufty Club or The Green Cross Code Man again as no-one seems to 'Stop, Look and Listen' any more :biggrin: