1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stupid Pedestrians!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Janeyb, 21 Apr 2008.

1. Janeyb

Janeyb Senior Member

I very nearly hit a pedestrian this morning! On the hospital grounds so at least she would have had quick treatment! :smile: There was a car in front of me which she waited for, she then looked straight at me and stepped into the road! I couldn't believe it and I'm afraid I shouted at her 'would you walk out in front of a car like that?'. I know it's Monday morning, and we're all a bit spaced out sometimes but it was like she just didn't register me despite making eye contact (which is why I didn't slow down!). Could have been nasty bet hey ho....we live to fight another commute.

2. John the Monkey

John the Monkey Frivolous Cyclist

Had the same thing on Friday, although sadly both of the ladies who didn't register a bike moving at 20mph were in their cars. Had a shout at the second one, didn't really make me feel any better :/

Being on the bike is still better than any other way of getting to work though...

3. Tharg2007

Tharg2007 Well-Known Member

I often wonder why people look at you then pull out anyway. I'm convinced their brain has trained itself to look for cars/busses/trucks anything else that is seen doesn't fit into these categories therefore the brain tells them to move out, completely automatic and completely brainless.

4. John the Monkey

Change blindness Tharg - as you say, they aren't looking for bikes, and so don't see them.

http://www.dothetest.co.uk/

is a good illustration of the principle.

5. MERV

MERV New Member

Oh I thought I was the only one and it was:

"Due to my road positioning".

6. Maz

Maz Guru

I think the pedestrian had right of way.

7. MERV

MERV New Member

That makes a change.

Ok fair enough if im in the wrong with a ped I will apologise.

8. MERV

MERV New Member

I notice they generally look once and that's it.
    They don't always see me even though I wear hi-viz although the average motorist does.(touchwood) (But that comes back to them not double checking of which the average motorist generally does)

Obviously you have to make allowances for this.

Perhaps if they don't hear an engine noise they think it's ok.

9. Janeyb

Janeyb Senior Member

I generally make sure that I make allowances for pedestrians as well as vehicles and other cyclists. I have my brakes poised and always make sure I catch their attention - part of the cycle path from the train station to the hospital passes the front of houses and people always pull out without looking so am always hyper aware - you have to have your wits about you in Cambridge. But what got me this morning was that we actually made eye contact and she still walked in front of me. Luckily - I never cycle too fast around the hospital grounds as I know some idiots who do.

Must just be having a bad day though as I also forgot to mention that the resident peacock who lives in our village also walked out in front of me this morning as I left home....but that's probably coz he comes into my garden and I feed him so he was probably after his breakfast!

10. tdr1nka

tdr1nka Taking the biscuit

Eye contact is that grey area on the road along with cars flashing their headlights, it is clearly a message but reveals nothing of their intent.

11. Crock of Gold

Crock of Gold Guest

Pedestrians think that cyclists are moving at 5 mph when, in fact, they are moving on occasion at over 15 mph and weigh over 13.5 stone. That is going to hurt them on impact.

I walk like a cyclist, now. Unintenioally - just out of instinct. What I mean by this is that I now spend about 2 hours 15-20 mins per day on my bike, Mon-Fri. The only walking I do in this time is to my garden shed and back. And from the Office cycle rack to my desk. Occasionally I will walk to a shop at lunch.

On Saturday I walk to the off-licence and back (5mins). Occasionally I will go to a Museum with my kids - this means walking to the bus-stop (5 mins) then just bussing and training.

On Sunday I will cycle to my rugby-club (1.5 miles) and coach.

That's it.

So I now walk like a cyclist out of pure instict. I don't jay-walk. I even look behind me before I overtake another pedestrian. And I always envision a path through a crowd of people as I approach instead of just mingling in.

:biggrin:

12. Maz

Maz Guru

Are you on about Addenbrooke's?
    I don't go there often, but whenever I do, the road layout drives me nuts.

13. John the Monkey

Tish and p'shaw!

It means flashing headlights means "I am going to let another car turn right across your path, cyclist" as any fule kno...

:biggrin:

14. Janeyb

Janeyb Senior Member

Yep and .....er.....me too!

15. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

I get this faily often on my commute, they wait until the car has passed then lanch them selfs across the road in front of me. A shout of Oi, often works, especialy when the suddenly realise just how fast I am going.