Suggest a long-weekend tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Our anniversary weekend is coming up (early March).

A few years back, we did the Dales Cycleway over three days on our anniversary, stayed at some of our favourite B&Bs in that area and had a great time. Warm, spring-like weather, too.

I'm after suggestions for something similar, three or four days, with comfy B&Bs available, preferably at the York-ish end of the country to minimise non-cycling travel.

Go!

HelenD123

Guru
Could you work out a route heading northwards up the middle of the country then head to the nearest station on the east coast main line?

EDIT: Just remembered I've got the maps and book for the Sustrans Coasts and Castles route which I could lend you. You could do all or part of the route between Edinburgh and Newcastle.

BearPear

Veteran
There's 150 mile route called the "West Yorkshire Cycle Route" which comes as far east as Wetherby and as far west as Hebden Bridge(ish). Can't give you any hint about B&B's though, but there will be plenty at Haworth.

P.H

Über Member
Have a look at the Pennine Cycle Way, the entire route from Derby to Berwick is probably a bit too much for a long weekend. I thought the best bit was between Hebdon Bridge and Wooler, though it was all good. Fantastic scenery, plenty of choice in B&Bs, some of the nicest cycling in the UK I've done.
Train to the start and finish shouldn't be a problem. Hebdon Bridge is on a line from York and you could pick up the East Coast line at Alnmouth for the return.

ASC1951

Guru
What sort of mileage will you do and how well do you know the Dales, Uncle Phil? It's an area I know very well, so I could put some routes together for you.

I'd head over to Otley then up through Askwith and Bolton Abbey towards Grassington and the Dales, perhaps finishing up in Dent where you can get the train back to York. Might be a little ambitious for a long weekend, unless you got yourselves transported to Otley.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
May I suggest the soon to be opened Yorkshire Wolds Cycle Route. About 150 miles circumnavigating the wolds?

I can email you a PDF map if you want?

The route/signs won't be up yet though, but you can work out the route from the PDF and google maps.

OP
OP
Amanda P

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The Wolds route sounds intriguing, CP. Can I see the PDF map?

Can't remember if you have my email address, so there's a PM on its way.

ASC1951, we don't know the Dales particularly well, but we do have all the relevant OS maps. We'd be up to 50-80 miles a day (depending on hills - a day including Park Rash from the Kettlewell end might need to be nearer the 50!) for maybe two to four days. What did you have in mind?

Christopher

Über Member
Coast and Castles Route? A work colleague has done it & reports that there are plenty of B&Bs along the route, even yurts at one point.

HelenD123

Guru
Arch said:
Me too... PM on the way CP...

+1 Sounds like an ideal training ride for a weekend.

I did a quick google and it seems there's a new coast to coast route being developed between Bridlington and Morecombe as well.

Top Bottom