Suggestions please for Bavarian tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TrevorM

Looking for route suggestions please for tour starting and ending in Munich. 5 - 7 days cycling; travelling light, staying B&B/hotels. Average 60 or 70 miles a day, early July.

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
easy ... head south towards the Alps and Austria...
Some lovely places, look up Hinteriss or Eng (Google Streetview) in the Karwendel mountains ... a dead end road leading from Bavaria across the border into the heart of an amazing wilderness area (following rivers & streams so not alpine passes - but there are plenty of those around too, if you prefer) :wub:

You don't say what sort of bike you are taking, and what road surface you prefer. There are further alpine valleys that are landrover track type surfaces, easy on hybrids, and fine on tourers unless you are trying to race...
(this link shows the surface type pretty well, mostly no worse than British tarmac roads with potholes)
+ plenty small roads through pretty villages and past lakes in the "pre-Alps" area, google Ammersee, Starenberger See (and look at Walchensee, Kochelsee etc (further south) etc.

Shout if you need more local information, I grew up on the Austrian side of the border.

T

OP
OP
TrevorM

TrevorM

I'll be taking my tourer (dawes galaxy). I was thinking going south following the Isar Radweg to Mittenwald. But where to go from there to circle back to Munich? I enjoy the Alps but I won't be mountain fit by then. I'll google your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks

mcr

Veteran
A couple of online resources worth a look: Bavarian Cycle Network and Radweit.

Haven't checked if the overall distance is doable in the time, but you could do a loop by heading for Salzburg, following the Salzach upstream and cutting back over one or two of the lower passes to the Inn valley and the Munich lowlands - something like this.

Gotte

My friend and I did the exact same route over the same timespan last Sept. We went from Munich, down the Isar to Bad Tolz, then joined the Bodensee Koenigsee radweg to a little town called Brannenburg, then up to Chiemsee (the ride along the south of the lake is not too pleasant, you follow the autobahn, but once you turn North, it's very nice, flat land quite at odds with Bavaria), then from Chiemgau to Berchtesgaden (which was actually a bit rough - would recommend Bad Tolz which is a few miles before it and much nicer), then had a nice ride to Salzburg. We didn't do as many miles as you want to do each day. First day about 60, second about 60, then maybe 45, then 50, then maybe 35. We took time off in Salzburg, then caught the train back to Munich for Oktoberfest.
On reflection, talking about it later, we think we should have gone straight for Salzburg instead of Berchtesgaden, then cycled back to Munich, stopping somewhere in between. Trouble is, the towns get really small, and accomodation can get a bit sketchy.
If I did it again, I'd wild camp. Plenty of land out there, plenty of forest.

Here's a list of the hotels we stayed in, and the prices we paid for a double room:

4 you Munich £72.36 (Hostel - okay but a bit of a small room)
klammerbrau bad tolz £63.39 (Nice hotel - room a bit old fashioned, but big)
Schlosswirt brannenburg £69.38 )great room, quiet location)

Unterwirt chiemsee £58.58 (great hotel, though room a bit small)
Unfortunately I've not got the info for the Salzburg hotel, as my friend booked it. It was across the river in the Neustadt, and was in a hotel which had great food and its own brewery. Nor have I got the other Munich hotel we stayed at the last night. The prices were pretty much on a par with above, though.

Hope that's a help.

OP
OP
TrevorM

TrevorM

A couple of online resources worth a look: Bavarian Cycle Network and Radweit.

Haven't checked if the overall distance is doable in the time, but you could do a loop by heading for Salzburg, following the Salzach upstream and cutting back over one or two of the lower passes to the Inn valley and the Munich lowlands - something like this.
That's exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. I'll probably do a variation of this as I do want to go South into Austria. Thanks for the links, the Bavarian Cycle Network is just what I was looking for. Thanks.

OP
OP
TrevorM

TrevorM

My friend and I did the exact same route over the same timespan last Sept. We went from Munich, down the Isar to Bad Tolz, then joined the Bodensee Koenigsee radweg to a little town called Brannenburg, then up to Chiemsee (the ride along the south of the lake is not too pleasant, you follow the autobahn, but once you turn North, it's very nice, flat land quite at odds with Bavaria), then from Chiemgau to Berchtesgaden (which was actually a bit rough - would recommend Bad Tolz which is a few miles before it and much nicer), then had a nice ride to Salzburg. We didn't do as many miles as you want to do each day. First day about 60, second about 60, then maybe 45, then 50, then maybe 35. We took time off in Salzburg, then caught the train back to Munich for Oktoberfest.
On reflection, talking about it later, we think we should have gone straight for Salzburg instead of Berchtesgaden, then cycled back to Munich, stopping somewhere in between. Trouble is, the towns get really small, and accomodation can get a bit sketchy.
If I did it again, I'd wild camp. Plenty of land out there, plenty of forest.

Here's a list of the hotels we stayed in, and the prices we paid for a double room:

4 you Munich £72.36 (Hostel - okay but a bit of a small room)
klammerbrau bad tolz £63.39 (Nice hotel - room a bit old fashioned, but big)
Schlosswirt brannenburg £69.38 )great room, quiet location)

Unterwirt chiemsee £58.58 (great hotel, though room a bit small)
Unfortunately I've not got the info for the Salzburg hotel, as my friend booked it. It was across the river in the Neustadt, and was in a hotel which had great food and its own brewery. Nor have I got the other Munich hotel we stayed at the last night. The prices were pretty much on a par with above, though.

Hope that's a help.

Very useful. Thanks very much. Can't decide now whether to go along the Bodensee Koenigsee radweg or go further south into Austria before going East. Decisions!

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I'll be taking my tourer (dawes galaxy). I was thinking going south following the Isar Radweg to Mittenwald. But where to go from there to circle back to Munich? I enjoy the Alps but I won't be mountain fit by then. I'll google your suggestions tomorrow. Thanks

But things get so much better if you follow the Isar upstream from Mittenwald, it is definitely worth going further, you won't regret it!

OP
OP
TrevorM

TrevorM

But things get so much better if you follow the Isar upstream from Mittenwald, it is definitely worth going further, you won't regret it!
Yes indeed. As you can see in my previous two posts I do want to continue South into Austria.
Where would you go then after Seefeld?.
East past Innsbruck and cut north at Jenbach or further East first.
Or West and wander up to Fussen then north towards Ausburg and cut across to Munich depending on time available?
Is Munich Airport to Mittenwald doable in one day on the Isarradweg?

Anyway into hospital tomorrow for hernia operation so I'll come back to this when I'm able.
Hopefully I'll by fit enough again by summer for this tour or I might have to stay further north in the gentler terrain.

Gotte

Personally, I preferred Southern Bavaria to the Tyroll. Mittenwald is nice, but I found the whole Inn valley a bit grim. Everything is crammed into that narrow valley - motorway, railway. Also, I just found that the Austrians were a little less freindly, and everything a little bit more chaotic (well, as chaotic as things can ever get in German speaking countries. Admittedly, I've never toured in Austria, only driven, but I;ve spent a couple of weeks in the Tyroll, and I much preferred Germany.

Top Bottom