Suggestions regarding longer stem for my mtb

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

samps24

So I use a MTB for road cycling as India hasn't got the best roads for expensive road bikes. Naturally, for more speed I stuck with the stock 680mm handlebar. My curiosity however, lies within the stem. Currently I have a 90mm stem and it still makes me sit in bit of an upright position (as I'm 185cms tall and have a 17' frame size). I was wondering to opt for a longer stem (at least 110mm) to achieve a more "aero" position than current and get some more speed for those long distance peddling. Hence need suggestions in that regard.

P.S. I live in a developing city which hasn't got proper bike shops so can't just pop in one and try different stems, probably they won't even have one so I'll order one (if required) online after going through suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
Longer riding position and a lowered one will make you more aerodynamic. You can often flip stems to lower the bar
No one can tell you what length or drop to use to get more aero and be comfortable. As you lower the front you may want to move the saddle reawards a small distance.

Also slick tyres are much quicker than knobbly mtb tyres.

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Can you post a pic of your stem?
As above you may be able to lower your bar height by either swapping around some spacers or flipping the stem.

OP
OP
S

samps24

Can you post a pic of your stem?
As above you may be able to lower your bar height by either swapping around some spacers or flipping the stem.

Is this fine?

Attachments

• 20201127_205428.jpg
    20201127_205428.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 4
OP
OP
S

samps24

Longer riding position and a lowered one will make you more aerodynamic. You can often flip stems to lower the bar
No one can tell you what length or drop to use to get more aero and be comfortable. As you lower the front you may want to move the saddle reawards a small distance.

Also slick tyres are much quicker than knobbly mtb tyres.
what do you mean by longer riding position, is that the more aggressive one that road cyclists use? Thanks for the flipping the stem suggestion, never thought it that way honestly, but I fear my head will be right over the bar in an uncomfortable position so probably a longer stem might help. Regarding the tyres, I tried finding slick ones but couldn't, most I can do and might do is opt for a narrower 1.9mm (yes it's compatible with the wheel rim) width compared to current 2.1mm

D

Deleted member 23692

Flipping the stem and lowering it (putting some/all the spacers above the stem) will lengthen the reach, and get you lower over the front end

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I think I’d start by swapping around a couple of spacers and see how you go. If you still find you feel too upright then do all the spacers. If you need more then flip the stem.
Can you post a pic of a side on view of your saddle.

Top Bottom