Summer Legs/Winter Legs/Lactic Legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
I've had a particularly hard time on the bike this winter. My energy levels haven't got up to anything like what they are in the summer and I'm not sure if I should be concerned. It's my first full winter of regular commuting in all weathers - are everyone's performance levels hindered by the cold and damp? Essentially it's a sore, lactic feeling in the thighs that's emphasised when pedalling hard or climbing. It's probably making a 3-4mph average speed difference which is mainly felt on climbs or drags.

I've upped the miles because in September I joined a cycle club, so I'm now doing big rides on a Sunday. I did big rides and tours before I joined however and if anything it's actually a little easier to ride in a pack than on your own so I don't see why this should especially be a problem. My legs have been better on the club runs than they have on the commutes though.

I'm not sure if I'm allowing myself to recover properly. E.g. I'll do 70-90 miles on a Sunday, 20 miles to work and back on a Monday plus 10 miles in the evening to football (along with a game of football) and then I'm commuting but struggling for the rest of the week (I try to only drive if I have a meeting that I have to go off site for). I was hoping that the longer I did this for the better my fitness would become and the easier it would be, but it actually feels like I've plateaued. Should I be drinking recovery drinks or having hot baths etc? Should I be giving myself more days off? I resent using the car when I don't have to though. I have to emphasise too that the club runs are only every other week as I have family committments.

So that's it... any magic formulas, or should I just be easing off a bit, or perhaps taking each ride a bit easier instead of trying to keep the average speed high? And does everyone else experience seasonal fluctuations?

beastie

Guru
My ave speed is probably 1.5 - 2mph less in Jan and Feb, partly due to the cold, it definitely takes more out of you, and also because I can't be arsed to bury myself in the bad weather.

I average about 90 miles a week and I always take one day off, or commute only very easily(as in very very easy) each week.

Have a couple of days off together, then take a day off every week for a month, plus one day ofv commuting as gently as you can. Rest is important for your muscles to repair themselves.

Also are you eating properly? You need plenty fuel for the mileage you are doing.

Enigma2008

Über Member
particularly hard time on the bike this winter
energy levels haven't got up
first full winter of regular commuting
a sore, lactic feeling in the thighs that's emphasised when pedalling hard or climbing
upped the miles
big rides on a Sunday
I'm not sure if I'm allowing myself to recover properly
70-90 miles on a Sunday
20 miles to work and back on a Monday plus 10 miles in the evening [and]a game of football
commuting but struggling for the rest of the week
Should I be giving myself more days off
family committments.
should I just be easing off a bit

Hi
Just look at that load!!!! Your knackered mate and you know what the answer is. You need to take a few days off 'NOW' before your season is completely trashed. What you're experiencing is a gradual decline into a serious overtraining situation, you have gone beyond the overreaching stage (look up the difference, it's important).
You should take at least one day off each week, If you want to go footballing after the Sunday ride, don't commute and don't ride to it, then take the next day off to recover from the two days, then you'll be ready for doing something again.

I could rant away on this but.... get some rest and take a better look at what you're asking of your body. (Wake up and smell the coffee)
Brian

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Looks like I'll drive to work tomorrow then :surrender:
Actually works out well as I'm going to a meeting so need the car anyway, and the same again on Friday. I'll also take the weekend off and see how the legs feel on Monday.

To be honest it doesn't feel like I'm doing as much as maybe I make it sound but I'll certainly bear in mind the need to make the most of the rest days and perhaps structure the Sunday/Monday a bit more sensibly so that I'm not wiping myself out in one go.

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

amaferanga

Veteran
I don't think it's gone as far as overtraining, since you only do a long ride every other week then you're not doing that many miles. It also doesn't sound like you've upped the volume significantly either. However, if you are going out on every ride and pushing hard to hit a magic number then it's no surprise really that you're getting tired.

I'd suggest you mix up your commute a bit with some hard days where you blast it and some really easy days where you soft pedal the whole way. If you find you lack freshness then have an extra easy day as well. This week should be a week of EASY commutes - drive if you want, but active recovery really does work. You will have to exercise a high level of self-restraint though if you choose recovery commutes as we all know how many sad wannabe racers there are around ;-)

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
I don't think it's gone as far as overtraining, since you only do a long ride every other week then you're not doing that many miles. It also doesn't sound like you've upped the volume significantly either. However, if you are going out on every ride and pushing hard to hit a magic number then it's no surprise really that you're getting tired.

I think you're right, I don't think I'm overtraining. On average I'm doing between 70-100 miles a week every other week (monday - friday), and then 150-200 miles the alternative week (monday - friday & Sunday). Having said that, I do need to manage the rest days as often the majority of those miles plus a game of football will occur over 2 days of the week. I should manage my recovery better after this time to maximise what I'm capable of for the rest of the week. I guess this is where the question still remains, what should I be doing to aid recovery. Is being off the bike enough or should I be drinking recovery products etc?

I do always aim to push hard but my energy levels fluctuate, and I seem to be having more bad days than good, whereas in the summer I'd always have more good than bad. I don't think my commute helps as it's obviously always at rush hour on narrowish roads where I like to keep my speed as high as possible to keep up with traffic (or at least not hold everyone up for long).

I'd suggest you mix up your commute a bit with some hard days where you blast it and some really easy days where you soft pedal the whole way. If you find you lack freshness then have an extra easy day as well. This week should be a week of EASY commutes - drive if you want, but active recovery really does work. You will have to exercise a high level of self-restraint though if you choose recovery commutes as we all know how many sad wannabe racers there are around ;-)

Easy days are easier said than done. There's always an urgency to get to work promptly, and an even greater urgency to get home at the end of the day... And then the obvious kick required when a fellow cyclist appears on the horizon and you are obliged to chase him down!

amaferanga

Veteran
I know it's hard to take it easy and I know what you mean about keeping up with the flow of traffic, but I think your choice is either drive instead of cycle some days or make yourself ride easy some days. I know what I'd choose!

Don't think you need any supplements provided you already have a good diet with a healthy mix of carbs/protein/fat and plenty of fruit and veg.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
I know it's hard to take it easy and I know what you mean about keeping up with the flow of traffic, but I think your choice is either drive instead of cycle some days or make yourself ride easy some days. I know what I'd choose!

Yeah, I only tend to drive in the days that I have to (i.e. for meetings off site etc) I get annoyed if I have the chance to cycle and don't.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Trouble with being relatively fit is that you often carry minor colds and viruses and not feel them day in day out like an obese desk worker will.

It's not until you exert yourself that you find it hard going. You could be carrying a bug. Rest up.

Top Bottom