Summer Tour - France June 5th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

doog

Hi

My first foreign tour starts next sunday when I fly down to Gerona in Spain and intend to cycle back to St Malo or Cherbourg and hop on a ferry back to not so sunny Dorset. The Cherbourg route is about 800 miles with 34,000 feet of ascent (Pyrenees to start with)

I am going fully loaded with all the camping kit. The bike is a Specialized Tricross, on 28mm Schwalbe Marathon 308s'. Recent additions to this (my commuting bike) include a 24 degree stem (I have a crocked back), Brooks professional saddle, which has worn in nicely and an upgraded rear wheel,( mavic open pro 36 spoke which has been on for about a year with no Issues). Its not a stock touring bike by anymeans but Its done a few UK tours without any dramas.

I am taking no luxuries, (dont even have a phone yet ) apart from a GPS. Navigation is via a Garmin Etrex Legend Hcx with downloaded Open Street Map and a rough route plotted on bike route toaster, backed up by pages from a Michelin 1:200 000 map book.

Camping gear consists of Vaude Hogan ultralite tent at 1.75kg (small porch), sleeping bag 800g, mat 500g, silk liner, utilising a bog standard Campingaz Bleuet gas stove, 1 pot, 1 plate, a spork and a few bags of dried food. Water will be carried in three bottles,filling up anywhere I can en route.

Entertainment will be one book. Lighting for me will be a petzel head torch. Taking a small tube of travel wash, a travel clothes line sink plug plus spare batts for the Extrex.

As for waterproofs Im basically taking a waterproof top and thats it. If my bottom half / feet get wet so be it....

Clothes :

1 Spare pair of cycle shorts

1 Spare Cycling shirt

1 base layer / fleece

1 pair of ron hills if the mossies are biting

1 pair of non cycling shorts

2 non cycling T shirts

2 pairs of underpants, 2 x pairs of socks and swimming trunks.

Flip flops

Four panniers , mat and sleeping bag infront right, cooking stuff / food front left, clothes rear right and waterprooftop and anything I buy / left over will be in rear left, Tent will be on rack.

Tools: multi tool, chain tool, spokewrench, 3 spare spokes, chain links 2 tubes, Topeak mountain morph pump,lube.

Wash kit : toothbrush/ paste, bar of soap,travel towel (large- hate the small ones), small first aid kit, ear plugs, mozzie spray, sun tan lotion.

I havent weighed all this but I guess 25kg max not including the bike which weighs in about 13kg with racks fitted.

The bike is going well packed in a box which will be left at the other end. I will take one pannier on board as hand luggage and the other three will be checked in one of these free Ikea bags. The tent will be hidden in the bike box.

Im relatively fit, commute 15 miles a day and do the odd 30/40 mile day ride. I havent done extra training for the mountains and am not too proud to get off and walk. I hope to do the trip in 10 days max.

Any advice would be welcome as I leave next sun
smile.gif

tbtb

I'm doing a similar venture and for the aeroplane I am inclined to put the high value tent in my hand luggage (but the poles and pegs in the checked bag). That way I won't lose the tent to baggage loss / theft. If that mat is a £100 neoair, you may wish to consider that too. Put the fleeces in the hold, keep the valuable stuff on you.

Your list may not be exhaustive but if it is you may want to add sunglasses of some sort and a hat. If the weather's glum (or sunny) a hat can really help.

Take some toilet roll and a puncture repair kit.

You may want to take a rear light too. If it's grim weather, overcast and in a forest, it's good to have the option of putting the flashing l.e.d. on, even during the day.

OP
OP
doog

doog

I'm doing a similar venture and for the aeroplane I am inclined to put the high value tent in my hand luggage (but the poles and pegs in the checked bag). That way I won't lose the tent to baggage loss / theft. If that mat is a £100 neoair, you may wish to consider that too. Put the fleeces in the hold, keep the valuable stuff on you.

Your list may not be exhaustive but if it is you may want to add sunglasses of some sort and a hat. If the weather's glum (or sunny) a hat can really help.

Take some toilet roll and a puncture repair kit.

You may want to take a rear light too. If it's grim weather, overcast and in a forest, it's good to have the option of putting the flashing l.e.d. on, even during the day.

Good advice re the tent. Further items that are included but not mentioned include sunglasses as you say, bike lock, loo roll, puncture repair kit, front and rear lights and a small pack of wet wipes for emergencies.(Wet wipes are heavy ). Very small roll of gaffa tape. I guess I had better start weighing as I can only check in 15kg without getting stung any more by Ryanair as well as the hand luggage.

A few things I have no idea about and perhaps someone can help. Do they check the bike box? I am going make sure the bike is well packed and the box sealed down. I may well cover it with plastic sheeting as I need to get it to the airport on roof bars and am worried rain will turn it into one soggy mess. If that is opened it will be a pain.

I am flying from a small provincial airport (only a few flights a day ) to another, so I am hoping the baggage handlers wont lose it / steal anything from it and will look after it
biggrin.gif

Getting rid of the box at Gerona airport. Its one big box (bigger than the average bike box)....also bottles to be filled up at Gerona airport and I need to buy some gas for the stove.

andy_spacey

Über Member
we may past on route, i am going the other way. Cherbourg to faro. safe trip and have fun. I leave Coventry on Wednesday and ferry on the Monday.6

safe trip and have fun

andym

Über Member
A couple of things. I'd take a small sewing kit for repairs on the road , and spare tent pegs - for those you bend, break or lose.

Unless you are planning to take a gazillion spare AA batteries, or buy them on route, you'll need a chatger and some spares.

Also, bear in mind that in Spain you have to wear a helmet outside urban areas, and in France you need to wear a high-viz gilet (or similar) after dark or in poor visibility - again outside urban areas. I don't know how actively these requirements are enforced but they are something to consider.

And most important: TAKE YOUR MOBILE PHONE. If you have an accident do you really want to be dependent on waiting for a passing motorist? Keep it switched off if you want, but carry it.

OP
OP
doog

doog

Thanks for the tips. The Etrex takes two AA batteries with a reported battery life of 24 hours. I will buy these on the road rather than take the charger. Ive got a few spare tent pegs thrown in.

Need to source a phone this week as my phone is a company phone so cant take that. Im taking my lid as I feel naked without it. Have a high viz but am taking a lighter waterproof instead which isnt high viz but is bright blue- will have to do!

Ive been weighing stuff today. Loaded : Rear panniers 5kg and 6kg each,both front weigh in rather interestingly at 3.5kg each, so 18kg in total in the panniers, tent on rack is 1.7kg, so as I thought about 20kg - quite happy with that- I dont know how that stacks up in the weight debate?

My only concern is breaking a rear spoke on the cassette side and having to find a cycle shop, this is the reason im taking 4 panniers rather than my usual two and sharing the weight about a bit. One pannier will have the sleeping bag and sleeping mat in. Also the bike handles better (in my opinion anyway).

I've toured in Spain a couple of times, including last year and not worn a helmet, I've also never taken a hi viz to France in the half dozen times I've toured there.

Please don't anybody start another helmet debate!

Stash a bit of cash and a spare credit card in the bottom of a pannier. Whilst on the subject of money, take loads, it comes in very handy.

andym

Über Member
Thanks for the tips. The Etrex takes two AA batteries with a reported battery life of 24 hours. I will buy these on the road rather than take the charger. Ive got a few spare tent pegs thrown in.

I don't know who reported that or what batteries they were using. A couple of days riding maybe a bit more if you buy Duracells. You'll save the cost of a charger inside a week (not to mention a lot of batteries not ending up in landfill). If you don't believe me, leave your GPS on see how long the batteries last.

andym

Über Member
I've toured in Spain a couple of times, including last year and not worn a helmet, I've also never taken a hi viz to France in the half dozen times I've toured there.

Please don't anybody start another helmet debate!

You may of course have simply been lucky. And if memory serves the law in France was introduced the summer before last.

A high-viz gilet costs a few quid and weighs maybe a 100g. Is not carrying one it really worth the risk?

And no, unfortunately, so far as the law is concerned bright blue won't do - not even if it's the most lurid neon-turquoise - it's got to have reflective spangly bits.

Was in France the last two summers and a few days last month, never saw anyone wearing hi viz, not saying DON'T take one, just that as with helmets in Spain it may be the law but it doesn't seem to be inforced.

OP
OP
doog

doog

I don't know who reported that or what batteries they were using. A couple of days riding maybe a bit more if you buy Duracells. You'll save the cost of a charger inside a week (not to mention a lot of batteries not ending up in landfill). If you don't believe me, leave your GPS on see how long the batteries last.

Im using it with rechargeables at the moment strangely enough. Just thought taking the charger, travel plug etc would be more phaff. My batteries are quite old so will give them a test tomorrow with the Extrex left on.

Edit...Ive just weighed my charger and big fat plug...512g, I wont be taking that!

May try Lithium..meant to last 8 times longer than alkaline and alot lighter

tbtb

If you live near a big sainsbury, their cycle-cut rain coat is hi viz yellow, taped seams, nice cut for road bike, wee loops on the thumbs, 130 grams (for large size, that's featherweight), and is priced at £20 but went through the till at £10!

That said, I don't think you'll have a problem with the blue one.

bigjim

Legendary Member
Sunglasses and spare pair. I broke mine on the first day. Nightmare. Gaffer tape is best unrolled then rerolled round a small piece of cardboard wrapped round the bike frame. My bike travelled in a plastic bag with no problems and it also acts as a groundsheet. Light and easy to carry.
5761642540_e8b39a938c.jpg

Top Bottom