1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Summer's coming ... what can I do?

Discussion in 'Touring and Adventure Cycling' started by Lone Rider, 8 May 2008.

1. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Well-Known Member

Hi everybody,

I'm at a loose end - I don't know where to go in the summer holidays. Nothing too strenuous, or adventurous, Europe is fine... Who has an interesting suggestion for a cycling holiday. About two weeks. Not too many hills.

2. Scotland? Scotland is wicked.

3. OP
    OP
    Lone Rider

isn't wicked a synonym of nasty?

4. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

My vote is to ride along the German rivers (because that is what I am doing). They are flat (ish), scenic and well signposted..there is good beer and good campsite facilities I am told.

Wesser, Fulda, Eder, Main, Donou, Rhine...take your pick...I am going to try and do all of them

5. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

I can recommend the river paths in Luxembourg (Sauer, I think), and Germany (Rhine, Neckar, Mosel). Scenic flattish and friendly natives.

6. OP
    OP
    Lone Rider

I went to Germany two years ago and bought a second-hand bike (to avoid plane problems) for 50€. I cycled along the Mossel and part of the Rhine rivers and had a great time. I certainly recommend the German rivers for a relaxing holiday.

7. I meant wikkid, as in 'well wikkid'. Innit.

8. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

Ditto

Failing that start in Innsbruck and follow the Inn to where it meets the Danube in Passau, down hill all the way. If that is not adventurous enough try starting in St. Moritz there is a bigger drop getting to Innsbruck. Scenery is fantastic, locals are welcoming and passes through cycle friendly countries, what more do you want?

9. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

Channel to Med - Calas to Montpellier at 100km/litre of wine should do the trick. It did the trick for me last year.

10. maurice

maurice Well-Known Member

Do you have a blog or anything on that trip vernon? Doing pretty much the same with a Calais to Nice run in June.

11. OP
    OP
    Lone Rider

I did North Sea to Med last year - from Amsterdam to Milan. I followed the Rhine to Switzerland, took a train through the Alps, then continued in Italy. Cycling in Holland and Germany was 99% on cycle paths beside rivers which meant stressless kilometers of pleasure. Italy was different and I gave up near Milan to take a train for the last stretch. The whole journey was about 1,300 kms in two weeks.
    Vernon, don't you find that wine drains your energy while cycling?

12. tredder

tredder New Member

at the end of the month I am going on a short tour of the Netherlands, to avoid the Airport agony, I picked up a cheap crossing on the ferry...

http://www.stenaline.co.uk/ferry/rail-and-sail/holland/

They sella rail & ferry deal which gets me from my home town through to Amsterdam.....

13. OP
    OP
    Lone Rider

This looks interesting - 320 kms and downhill all the way.

Where did you get the graph? It certainly makes it easier to choose a route when you can get an idea of the terrain that you are going to find.

14. vernon

vernon Harder than Ronnie Pickering

I didn't keep a blog but the route I used was based on a CTC route to St Tropez from Calais. I used the route as far as Orange before branching off for the Carmargue.

TOWN

CALAIS
    Wissant
    Marquise
    Desyres
    Beussent
    Montreuil
    Abbeville
    Yzeux
    Amiens
    Roye
    Noyon
    Blerancourt
    Soissons
    Chateau-Thierry
    Montmirail
    Sezanne
    Mesgrigny
    Troyes
    Verrieres
    Ville Noyenne
    Merry-s-Arce
    Chatillon-s-Saône
    Dijon
    Beaune
    Chaion-s-saône
    Cuisery
    Pont-de-Vaux
    Pont-de-Veyle
    Trevoux
    Lyon
    Pierre Benite
    Grigny
    Givors
    Vienne (West Bank)
    Tournon
    Valence
    Le Teil
    Viviers
    Pierrelatte
    Orange
    Borges
    Caumont-s-Durance
    Senas
    Aix-en-Provence
    St Maximin
    Brignoles
    Le Cannet des Maures

Alternatives:-

1) La Garde Freinet
    Grimaud
    ST TROPEZ

2) Le Muy
    St Maxime
    ST TROPEZ

3) Le Muy
    St Aygulf
    ST TROPEZ

15. I know this sounds a bit daft, and not at all adventurous, but why not start from your own front door (depending where you live) and discover new places in your area? I went off for a week last year around an area of Shropshire I thought I knew really well and was amazed how much more there was to it.
    Otherwise, why not have a themed tour? Me and a previous girlfriend did the Western Front, from the Somme to Ypres, on bikes a while ago. All we had to do was get the ferry to Calais and off we went.