Sums up some people's attitudes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jezston

Über Member
Someone just sent an email round work advertising a room in a shared house.

One of the selling points was that it's only a 10-15 minute walk from work, or you can get a lift from the guy advertising it.

Driving to work and back when it's a 10-15 minute walk, every day.

I dunno.

fimm

Veteran
Friend of mine tells the story of a colleague who'd "not been able to get to work" because he couldn't get his car off the drive due to snow. My friend had walked past the colleague's house on his way to work...

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
When I first moved to London, I was looking for a house and I asked how far it was going to be from my drama school. Here is my recollection of the conversation:

ME: Is it walking distance from XX?
EA: Oh god no! You definitely need to drive or get a taxi to live here!
ME: Oh, it didn't look that far on the map.
EA: Well, you could walk, but it would take you at least FIFTEEN MINUTES!
ME: (Looks blankly at EA to see if this is a joke of some kind. It isn't)

adds21

Rider of bikes
I have a colleague who drives less than half a mile to work.

But it's okay, because she occationally goes to the gymm. Obviously she drives the mile from the office to the gymm :rolleyes:.

It's madness I tell you.

BenM

Veteran
We have a 'Ladies Gym' next to work... you would not believe the lengths the attendees will go to so that they can park right outside the gym doors - It takes some of them longer to squeeze their cars in to the nearest parking space than to park in an easier spot and walk down to the gym. I think humans in general are lazy - present company excluded of course otherwise we wouldn't be cycling anywhere :biggrin:

B.

Ellis456

Ok you wont believe this but, I used to live on a small road with a cul-de-sac on the end of it, had a small roundabout with a school there, look here:

http://g.co/maps/ds58

Where you are in google maps is the distance this women used to drive to said school, so cold morning used to leave car running for 10 minutes then used to all pack them in, then go to vast distance down the end of the road.

Distance 0.1 mi, walk 3 mins.

Unbelievable.

Obesity on the rise?, no wonder...

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
I have a colleague who drives less than half a mile to work.

But it's okay, because she occationally goes to the gymm. Obviously she drives the mile from the office to the gymm :rolleyes:.

It's madness I tell you.

It never ceases to amaze me to see the number of people who will queue up in the gym car park (usually getting angry and impatient) to find a parking spot at peak time. They then storm off into the gym, all huffy because 20 minutes of their precious exercise time has been taken up with trying to park - then they get on the cycling machine!

What I do, however, is to cycle to the gym (therefore I don't need to use any of those stupid "aerobic" machines), do the weights, then have a good go on the punch bag, then cycle home again. I've usually woven my way through the queue of beeping cars with enraged drivers in them, locked the bike up and I'm doing my first set of reps while looking out of the window at the same cars still queueing.

I had a session with one of the personal trainers there, I just wanted some advice on weight training. When I told him that I didn't need to use the cardio machines because I cycle a lot, he said, "Oh, that's great, not many of my customers do that, they just come here to use the machines, that's all they do".

It is utterly astonishing.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
Ok you wont believe this but, I used to live on a small road with a cul-de-sac on the end of it, had a small roundabout with a school there, look here:

http://g.co/maps/ds58

Where you are in google maps is the distance this women used to drive to said school, so cold morning used to leave car running for 10 minutes then used to all pack them in, then go to vast distance down the end of the road.

Unbelievable.

Had to show everyone in office as I laughed so hard I started choking...

Arch

Married to Night Train
We have a 'Ladies Gym' next to work... you would not believe the lengths the attendees will go to so that they can park right outside the gym doors - It takes some of them longer to squeeze their cars in to the nearest parking space than to park in an easier spot and walk down to the gym. I think humans in general are lazy - present company excluded of course otherwise we wouldn't be cycling anywhere :biggrin:

B.

It makes biological sense to be lazy. Animals should save their energy for getting food, building a home or defending territory, running away from danger, and sex. We no longer have to expend much energy on any of those (except perhaps the last), but our biology hasn't caught up with our technological advances.

Ellis456

Why do people have to park right outside a supermarket?, my dad does it and I have a go at him, people try and park nearest the supermarket then actually walk round the ailes, it doesn't make sense.

You only have to look at sites like footballgroundguide - an excellent source of info about getting to away grounds by car, bus or rail, however if the ground is a mile or more away from the train station it usually goes on about what a long hike it is to the ground and recommends a taxi

Mind you, I went out for a meal with friends a week last Sunday and 2 of our party (fit and healthy people) were pushing to get a taxi from the restaurant to the pub, a 10 minute walk at the most

"It'll be cheap enough split between four"
"Between three" I replied
"No there's four of us" (bewildered look)
"There'll be three of you in the taxi and one of me walking"
We walked

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

B.
It's time for that photograph again ...! :thumbsup:

america-fitness-s.jpg

Top Bottom