England : Kent Sunday October 22nd Docks, Dickens & The Oldest Road

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Through some gritty Medway towns to the Hoo Peninsula (Allhallows, Cliffe & Cooling). Then UP through Shorne to Watling St cycle-path, back to Dartford via Hextable.
92km at about 20kph average speed. Lunch stop midway.
Meet Dartford Station for 09.40 away. I will be on 08.53 from Charing X, arr. 09.36 (Oyster Zone)
A Central London CTC ride.

Sharky

Guru
And there is the quaint village of Bluewater, but maybe one to miss.

On a serious note, what road are you taking out of Dartford?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Dear Mr @Nick Saddlesore
I'd like to join you on this and have checked the trains and I can get there on time. I will need to wriggle out of Other Commitments so assume I'm out unless I let you know, probs via email. But this sounds like a decent ride to somewhere I don't know.

OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
what road are you taking out of Dartford?

Joyce Green Lane, over (under?) Bob Dunn Way, along the Bus Way then on the cycle path by Crossway to Greenhithe. More main road cycle path through Swanscombe, Nothfleet and Gravesend. Into countryside at Chalk. Alternative suggestions welcome, but sticking to tarmac. Should be fairly quiet early on a Sunday morning.

Sharky

Guru
One alternative would be to take the B260 out through Green Street Green, Longfield, Meopham, Sole Street, Cobham to Shorne Park and then you would be back on your route I think.

The route you suggested does go through some "gritty" towns. Throw back to when the Blue Circle cement factories were on the river. My alternative is a bit more in the country and goes past the Leather Bottle in Cobham, which was supposed to be a haunt of Charles Dickens.

My interest is really because I live in Longfield and if the route goes so near to my house, I might be tempted to join you for a little bit. Don't think I can do the full route as I always have family commitments.

Cheers Keith

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
Gravesend Clock Tower
Passing there from Harmer St to Milton Rd @ 14.5k

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'm out. Good luck - strong following wind heading east. Mere mortals might look at trains getting back but Gods Of The Cycling World won't, obvs.

OP
OP
Nick Saddlesore

Nick Saddlesore

Über Member
strong following wind heading east
I did seem strangely sprightly on the way out. After a good lunch at The Horseshoe and Castle in Cooling (as recommended by @Trickedem ), we decided to try the bridleway back to Gravesend, with photo opportunities at the church and at the castle. But General Consensus had a change of heart and we pressed on back to Dartford.
would love to have a gpx file of the route
The original Great Plan: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/23515168
Not so grim reality (bordering on enjoyable): https://ridewithgps.com/routes/26335687

Top Bottom