Sunday Ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
My oppo and myself had an early start, loaded the rack up and headed to Brynmawr. Very nice spirited ride down NCN 492 on MTB's en route to Pontypool. Quick brew, than a return journey, not a steep pull, as it's an old railway, but a constant 13 miles uphill on about a 1 in 55 incline.
All in all a constructive pre season ride!
Sounds good, except the 13 mile uphill thing. Give me a shout if you ever do it the other way. :thumbsup:

vickster

Legendary Member
I saw loads of road cyclists, alone and groups. I saw a couple in shorts. It was about 4-5 deg. I had two pairs of tights on :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
We rode in a NW direction from Whalley to The Apple Store cafe at Scorton, feeling good because we under-estimated the strength of the freezing cold SE wind and thought we were going well.

When we turned to head for home the wind was like a knife, now I know what David Millar means when he talks about a block headwind; this wind was everywhere and straight in our faces for all but the last couple of miles. For the first time ever on finishing a ride I went straight indoors to warm up and didn't clean the bike. I will do it tonight.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For the first time ever on finishing a ride I went straight indoors to warm up and didn't clean the bike. I will do it tonight.
You haven't lived .... :whistle:

I got back in the dark from one late autumn 200 km audax so cold that I bypassed a bath/shower, donned about 5 layers of clothing (seriously - multiple pullovers, a fleece jacket, doubled-up woolly hats, doubled-up pairs of knee-length socks, mitts ....) and went to bed with 3 duvets over me and STILL shivered for about 2 hours! :eek:

That put me off doing long rides in cold conditions! :laugh:

Adam4868

Guru
We rode in a NW direction from Whalley to The Apple Store cafe at Scorton, feeling good because we under-estimated the strength of the freezing cold SE wind and thought we were going well.

When we turned to head for home the wind was like a knife, now I know what David Millar means when he talks about a block headwind; this wind was everywhere and straight in our faces for all but the last couple of miles. For the first time ever on finishing a ride I went straight indoors to warm up and didn't clean the bike. I will do it tonight.
Was at the Apple store myself yesterday,(personel favourite of mine) feck was it cold through Went through the trough.The roads have took a hammering aswell,theres potholes big enough to swallow you !

PaulSB

Legendary Member

Some of our guys did a big loop from Chorley to the Apple Store and home again. My group went Chorley>Whalley>Sabden>Barley>Chatburn>Waddington cafe. We then returned Hurst Green>Longridge>Preston.

Hit that cold headwind at Longridge and boy was it cold, miserable hard work for those 20 miles home.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I can cope with a headwind although I usually plan my rides to go out against and back with the prevailing wind but when that wind is air that's at 2.5 centigrade, it doesn't matter how hard you pedal; you will get chilled right through.

Top Bottom