Sunday's bus overtake

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't see the vid, but if it's Metrobus in South London, get a complaint in to Adrian Tullet, Ops Director. He's the one who responded to my complaint. Let's show them that there's a problem with certain drivers' attitudes.

Wolf04

I'm guess it was a lot closer than your video shows it to be. It doesn't appear that close but noticed you did brake as it was happening so I'm guessing it was. OT longs in September! still in shorts up here in the frozen north.

hackbike 6

I think I noticed mikey swerve which is what I tend to do when things get dicey.

Perhaps he caught the bus out of the corner of his eye.

BTW I have now had 3 cyclists undertake me in the last week,the first almost leading to a collision.I only noticed as I caught movement out on my left side.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
This is definitely one where the vid doesn't give a good impression of how close the bus came. What it does show is that he was hammering it! What's the speed-limit down there?

BTW, its just occurred to me. Your vids remind me of a first-person shoot-em-up, only with your legs replacing a large sawn-off. You could be the next Lara Croft! ;)

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Legwarmers innit - slow ride, leaving home at 08.00 on a Sunday, 'twas too cold for me. I don't take kindly to low temperatures, coming from a hot country. Plus when I'm working on skates I'm still wearing that lycra, and not generating a huge amount of heat.

Hackers, that's right, I saw him coming in the mirrors and braked and swerved because I knew he might have to swerve out of the way of the oncoming car. It wasn't massively close, but it was a brainless and stupid overtake, probably quite scary for the oncoming car.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Bollo said:
This is definitely one where the vid doesn't give a good impression of how close the bus came. What it does show is that he was hammering it! What's the speed-limit down there?

BTW, its just occurred to me. Your vids remind me of a first-person shoot-em-up, only with your legs replacing a large sawn-off. You could be the next Lara Croft! ;)

Yeah, it's 30mph, and I was doing about 25, so I think he was probably around 40mph.

LOL, yeah, the recumbent boom does sometimes feel like a weapon. Cheers Waffles!

hackbike 6

Hackers, that's right, I saw him coming in the mirrors and braked and swerved because I knew he might have to swerve out of the way of the oncoming car. It wasn't massively close, but it was a brainless and stupid overtake, probably quite scary for the oncoming car.

Mirrors are a good idea although I have never fitted them.I think it would scare the **** out of me if I saw a car hareing towards me.

hackbike 6 said:
Mirrors are a good idea although I have never fitted them.I think it would scare the **** out of me if I saw a car hareing towards me.

That's my reasoning for not having a mirror too. Although I could have done with one this morning. I made the mistake of looking over my shoulder just before the road was narrowed by a traffic Island. WVM must have took this as a signal to overtake, he suddenly accelerated through the gap. Partly my fault I should of been in a stronger position ;)

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I haven't got a lot of choice about having mirrors on the 'bent. On a low one like mine, it's very hard to see behind you without them.

Archie

Errrr.....
HLaB said:
I made the mistake of looking over my shoulder just before the road was narrowed by a traffic Island. WVM must have took this as a signal to overtake, he suddenly accelerated through the gap.

Eh? How is looking back an invitation to overtake!??? I look back to discourage any stupid overtakes, and it's also quite handy to know what's there! You carry on looking.

Archie said:
Eh? How is looking back an invitation to overtake!??? I look back to discourage any stupid overtakes, and it's also quite handy to know what's there! You carry on looking.
I find with some idiot drivers, like todays WVM that it confirms to their thick psyche that I've saw them, so I can swerve out of the way and let them do their stupid manouvre :smile:.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
For most drivers, it's a warning sign and gets them to hold back. For some muppets though, like HLab's, they take it as an invitation to overtake. "He's seen me, so I can shove through".

You can make it a bit more emphatic by adding a right arm signal with the palm facing backwards, as if you're saying wait.

hackbike 6

Archie said:

I can understand the mentality.Perhaps he didn't glare like you.:smile:

Top Bottom