Superbowl XXXBGDDHEEIIIII

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noodley

The Meaning of Life starts soon over on ITV.

Quoth

You mean...Taste of Dunfermline vs Strathcarnage in the Baxters Soup Cup Final?!!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
American sports are rather strange.

500 mile car races where they all drive round in a large peleton and have some spectacular crashes before reaching the finish in one long line.

Basketball, where one team runs down the end of the court and scores, then the other team runs back to the other end and scores another.

Baseball, which is a failed attempt to make rounders exciting.

Pool, where the pockets are so big that a ball which hits the cushion two feet before the pocket still drops in.

And American football, where a game lasts eighty four hours but there is only ten minutes actual play during which two teams dressed like the clientel of a particularly kinky gay bar run into each other at high speed.

They just don't get the whole concept of sport.

Rob S

Smokin Joe said:
And American football, where a game lasts eighty four hours but there is only ten minutes actual play during which two teams dressed like the clientel of a particularly kinky gay bar run into each other at high speed.

They just don't get the whole concept of sport.

I'm sure people think very similar about the Tour de France and I'm sure we all think they're rather dumb too.
You are right about basketball though.

I was trying to reply to the Bikeradar version of the derogatory Super Bowl thread but the forums been playing up for a few days...so I'll post in here instead.

Yet another former massive fan here, first Super Bowl I saw was XX though sadly like a large number of people drifted away from it as the game was dumped by Channel 4 (like the TdF) after a variety of presenting styles...from Horne to Frank Gifford...to the 'Vicious Boys'....to Mick Luckhurst. Channel 5 took over and used to show a game every week but not the Super Bowl. Not a huge fan of the BBC presentation mainly because of the anchor man but Mr Carson is a great loan from Five.
Wandering back every couple of years is quite an eye opener as the way the NFL is run you don't get total domination for years on end like say the Premiership and one time you see the Buccaneers are a regular 4-12 team and then you come back a few years later and they've won the Super Bowl. Some of the most exciting sport I've seen on telly have involved last second game winning TD drives by John Elway and the Broncos...great stuff!!

As for the game last night, bloody brilliant and loved the 100yd interception TD return!!

Maz

Guru
Smokin Joe said:
Baseball, which is a failed attempt to make rounders exciting.
AGH!!! The WORLD series!! Gimme a break!
There's only 2 or 3 countries max that take part.

This year's winners? The People's Republic of Oakland!!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Rob S said:
As for the game last night, bloody brilliant and loved the 100yd interception TD return!!

Yeah I stayed up until Springsteen came on and that was me off to the land of nod. Certainly the 100 yd TD was a nice return. ;) I have always been a bit of a Steelers fan ever since some distant relative bought me a shirt when I was knee high to a grasshopper back in the 70's.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's called the World Series because the original sponsor ship of the Baseball Championship was by the Boston World Newspaper.

Maz said:
AGH!!! The WORLD series!! Gimme a break!
There's only 2 or 3 countries max that take part.

This year's winners? The People's Republic of Oakland!!

Rob S

FatFellaFromFelixstowe said:
Yeah I stayed up until Springsteen came on and that was me off to the land of nod. Certainly the 100 yd TD was a nice return. ;) I have always been a bit of a Steelers fan ever since some distant relative bought me a shirt when I was knee high to a grasshopper back in the 70's.

The 70s!!?? You glory hunter!!

Rob S

HLaB said:
Well the residents of Arizona got more than they bargained for ;)

"Then he did his little dance with everything hanging out."

ed.jpg

Excessive celebration, number sixty nine offense, 15 yard penalty!!:biggrin:

Top Bottom