Superstitions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
As the football season is about to start and I won't wear my teams shirt if they're playing and I'm not there (very bad luck) I started thinking about superstitions.

Only a couple I can think of for me:-

I won't cross anyone on the stairs.
There's a bridge near Langwathby that I always have to close my eyes when going under (very bad luck also).If I'm driving it's a big blink really, but it must be done.

You got any?

chris42

i always say 'morning to EVERY magpie I see when I'm riding.

barq

There is a church at the top of a hill at the turn point on one of my training rides. Ever since I read that circling a church widdershins (anti-clockwise) was bad luck, I've had to go around it clockwise - even though this forces me to take a really awkward line.

In my defence: It's a very old place in the middle of nowhere (and incredibly spooky on a night ride).

The magpie thing is my only superstition. I always give them a salute and a "morning mr magpie" ...... ignorant cretins never reply though.

Pete

I've heard that there's a 'Fairy Bridge' somewhere in the Isle of Man...
1) Can someone confirm?
2) Is it safe to cycle across? ;)

Keith Oates

Janner
Walking under ladders is one that I look out for. Remove the back bone of a fish and not turn it over to get to the flesh underneath is another!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
Pete said:
I've heard that there's a 'Fairy Bridge' somewhere in the Isle of Man...
1) Can someone confirm?
2) Is it safe to cycle across? ;)
Yes there is, it's south of Douglas if I remember correctly on the road to castletown. it's ok to cycle over it, or drive, as long as you remember to say hello !
It's not the p*n*t**e fairy though so no guns

starseven said:
The magpie thing is my only superstition. I always give them a salute and a "morning mr magpie" ...... ignorant cretins never reply though.
My changed emphasis

That's because they are females who have you "listed" as a misogynist who will be dealt with in due course!

Must admit that with my Scottish background - Magpies are treated with respect, however doffing one's helmet is a bit too much

Edited
(and no.........................."Doffing one's helmet" is not a euphemism for anything rude!)

Top Bottom