Surly Chain tensioner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basil.B

Guru
My Surly chain tensioner has lost it's tension, I suspect the spring has broken.
What is the best chain tensioner to get, are the non spring tensioner's any good?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
funny as i have a gusset one to fit 2moro for same reason , will let you know

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
just fitted gusset tensioner seems to be ok , time and use will show .

in future going to stick yo old fashioned horizontal dropouts its easier

simon.r

Person
Took my tensioner apart, spring looks ok to me.

If the spring's in one piece can't you just bend it a bit more to increase the tension? Not done it with a chain tensioner, but have done it with V brakes (bent the arms out a bit when the little spring loses it's tension).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/4jeri-tensioner-29-p.asp is what I use, and charlie is who I got it from but it doesn't really give enough chain wrap for off-road with the gearing I have.

OP
OP
Basil.B

Basil.B

Guru
I have semi- fixed my chain tensioner, more tension now.
I went for a test run, did 5 miles no problem. Then the chain started to skip again, only 6 times in all (10 miles).
Have ordered a new spring, hope this will fix it!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
What is chain wrap?

it's the amount of the sprocket and chainring the chain engages with, so if you have a tensioner that pushes the chain up then more teeth will be in use than with one that pushes the chain down. Makes a far greater difference at the back than the front.

Also cog/ring selection makes a difference, 48x18 gives roughly the same gear as 34x13, but clearly more teeth are engaged with the chain using 48x18. Offroad singlespeeders may go with the smaller combo to gain extra ground clearance.

Top Bottom