Surprised by Germans reluctance to be vaccinated

I accept that many with medical and age considerations are reluctant to take the vaccine. Germans have always been strong on science and engineering. Their pharmaceutical industry is also a leader. Hence the surprise in the take-up rate. I am not sure if it just down to the Oxford AstraZeneca issue or the Norway issue.

Anyone can throw light on what is going on?

Last edited:

Brads

Strong belief in individual choice ?.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I was reading in El Pais that the feeling there is the Spanish decision to give two doses of vaccination close together has been a mistake and they could have had more people at 90% protection by now if they'd followed the British lead.

ETA - Galicia has just made the vaccine compulsory, with fines of up to 60k for those who refuse.

Last edited:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The EU leaders are to blame. Not wanting to have to agree or acknowledge that the UK has an effective vaccine that works well for all age groups and gives excellent protection, and that giving the second vaccination at 11 or 12 weeks after the first is just as good if not better than close together, plus the fact that we have vaccinated so many more people than they have in the EU must stick in their throat. They have sent the wrong message to their respective people, and as a result people, are incorrectly scared of the British vaccine.

EU unity at its worst I think. And of course the people that will suffer most are not the leaders.

shep

Veteran
The EU leaders are to blame. Not wanting to have to agree or acknowledge that the UK has an effective vaccine that works well for all age groups and gives excellent protection, and that giving the second vaccination at 11 or 12 weeks after the first is just as good if not better than close together, plus the fact that we have vaccinated so many more people than they have in the EU must stick in their throat. They have sent the wrong message to their respective people, and as a result people, are incorrectly scared of the British vaccine.

EU unity at its worst I think. And of course the people that will suffer most are not the leaders.
This should be interesting................

C R

Veteran
Germany and France have traditionally had a large number of followers of homeopathy and other quackery. I understand that in Germany you can actually study homeopathy as an accredited university degree, which I always found baffling. The reasons why this is I don't know, but it might explain the general antivax vibe, which was already there before the spat about supplies.

C R

Veteran
I was reading in El Pais that the feeling there is the Spanish decision to give two doses of vaccination close together has been a mistake and they could have had more people at 90% protection by now if they'd followed the British lead.

ETA - Galicia has just made the vaccine compulsory, with fines of up to 60k for those who refuse.
Where did you see the thing about Galicia? The Galician papers don't mention it.

Drago

Flouncing Nobber
Misguided opinion and publicity from their senior government ministers, including the Chancellor herself, and similar from their neighbours in France, is what is driving the situation in Germany.

There's a deep irony here. After the EU falsely accused the UK of stealing their vaccines, France and Germany are now sitting on significant stocks of Astea Zeneca's vaccine for which there is little demand.

The first emergency of this scale since WWII and look at the mess the EU are making of it. I was a fence sitter thoruhout the B affair, but seeing how the EU and its major players are bungling their response Im now very glad we are out.

Top Bottom