Surprised by Germans reluctance to be vaccinated

vickster

Legendary Member
English people are generally fair, friendly and polite.

Maybe shouldn't have stripped them against their will of the citizenship that enabled them to leave, hein? But the Post-Brexit thread is https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/the-post-brexit-thread.251777/
There is a big wide world out there beyond Europe too....and there was plenty of time to emigrate to Europe while we were in the EU.
I lived abroad a bit in my student years.
Quite happy being in the UK myself, well other than the weather approx between October and March and all those who moan about the UK (can’t be all bad given the numbers from outside the UK who still choose to make their lives here (despite the weather :whistle:)

Who cares? If something goes well in Germany then Merkel will take the credit. If something goes wrong, its the fault of the British.

We spent 7 decades keeping our own military there, not just to keep the reds at bay but to keep the boot firmly on Germany's neck, and they were always resentful about it. Any excuse to blame the British has always been pounced upon with glee. Von Der Leyen, a woman with a reputation for incompetence, is simply the latest manifestation of that - if people are finally getting the jab over there its depsite their own Government and the EU, not because of them.

Screw 'em, they got the leadership they voted for and which their national psyche deserves.
cripes drago - not sure what your issue is with the germans.
Growing up I didn't have the idea that all those western forces were there to keep the germans down - I assume the nutjobs were watched by the intelligence forces, not tanks.
In my naivety I imagined it was to do with the perceived threat from the eastern bloc (included east germany of course) and providing british squaddies with access to beer in gardens and interesting sexual opportunities - see whatever happened to the likely lads and terry's liaison. As a small kid in the 60s I remember a few brit seaside resorts with curious things called beer gardens and odd pottery tankards on sale - later in life I imagined that this was an attempt to create a certain german rhineland joi di vivre in a chilly british eastern coast resort.
I also had the idea that many germans were rather keen on not spending megabucks on arms themselves but on developing their industry/an admirable range of tough bike luggage.

edit - terry collier on his unfortunate german sexual experience (at the end) and other stuff.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNiTo_TbeQ

Last edited:
Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Who cares? If something goes well in Germany then Merkel will take the credit. If something goes wrong, its the fault of the British.

We spent 7 decades keeping our own military there, not just to keep the reds at bay but to keep the boot firmly on Germany's neck, and they were always resentful about it. Any excuse to blame the British has always been pounced upon with glee. Von Der Leyen, a woman with a reputation for incompetence, is simply the latest manifestation of that - if people are finally getting the jab over there its depsite their own Government and the EU, not because of them.

Screw 'em, they got the leadership they voted for and which their national psyche deserves.
Meanwhile is the real world (outside of the Daily Mail) you will actually see that the opposite is pretty much true.

I think most of Pfizer vaccine has final manufacturing in Belgium, while Janssen is made in Spain and France. The figure for Germany alone may be accurate but misleading.
Agree, though I think even the German figure is understated.

The UK figure seems absolutely miles off, even with new suppliers coming on stream later.

chriswoody

Guru
Photo Winner
It's unbelievable the bigoted lazy stereo types being bandied about here @Drago you've mentioned on other threads your reluctance to travel abroad for environmental reasons, maybe you should make an exception and actually experience the real world away from your warped views. Germany really is a very different country from the bigoted views being espoused here and it's a real shame to be reading this.

@Unkraut has actually made a very eloquent and more nuanced reply than I could muster, that reflects the reality of what's been happening here. It is frustrating the way things have happened, but maybe now the vaccine roll out can pick up speed and we can start to see some progress and a slow return to some sort of normality, whatever that looks like these days.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Oh look another trait - referring back to things from 80 years ago :laugh:
And another one, twisting everything for your own ends.

As regards referring back, plenty of posters like to do it to slag off Boris.

Those who bleat about the Daily Mail and its readers should at least be consistent about it.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
cripes drago - not sure what your issue is with the germans.
Growing up I didn't have the idea that all those western forces were there to keep the germans down - I assume the nutjobs were watched by the intelligence forces, not tanks.
In my naivety I imagined it was to do with the perceived threat from the eastern bloc (included east germany of course) and providing british squaddies with access to beer in gardens and interesting sexual opportunities - see whatever happened to the likely lads and terry's liaison. As a small kid in the 60s I remember a few brit seaside resorts with curious things called beer gardens and odd pottery tankards on sale - later in life I imagined that this was an attempt to create a certain german rhineland joi di vivre in a chilly british eastern coast resort.
I also had the idea that many germans were rather keen on not spending megabucks on arms themselves but on developing their industry/an admirable range of tough bike luggage.

edit - terry collier on his unfortunate german sexual experience (at the end) and other stuff.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brNiTo_TbeQ
They bombed both his chippie and Y front shop!

• Laugh
Reactions: C R
Top Bottom