Sweaty 'ed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
OK pre-empting the summer slightly here, but so what!

One of the enduring memories of last year was cycling home. After 15mins I had sweat rolling down my forehead, behind the shades and into my eyes. Thanks to the Mach 3 theres not even a layer of thatch to soak it up. Still a problem when I changed to using a well vented helmet, with good absorbent pads (Met Veleno).

Salty water tends to sting a bit…

So is there anything the long termers do to address this?

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
gambatte said:
OK pre-empting the summer slightly here, but so what!

One of the enduring memories of last year was cycling home. After 15mins I had sweat rolling down my forehead, behind the shades and into my eyes. Thanks to the Mach 3 theres not even a layer of thatch to soak it up. Still a problem when I changed to using a well vented helmet, with good absorbent pads (Met Veleno).

Salty water tends to sting a bit…

So is there anything the long termers do to address this?

I have the same problem as I overheat very quickly, regardless of how cold or hot it is. I wear a buff all year round as it soaks up the sweat and tends to delay the inevitable 'Niagra falls down the forehead' moment for long enough to allow me to get home before it happens ! THe only down side is that the buff can trap the heat from your head and make you sweat more. Planning on buying a cheap one from Trespass this summer and cutting it into three, so there should just be enough material to make 3 thinner sweat bands.

Now - if someone could invent a helmet that would catch and drain the sweat off to the side or the back.....

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
Sh4rkyBloke said:
... perhaps some 'brow guttering' to redirect the sweat away??? :biggrin:

I visualise a rubber-ish 'seal' around the forehead area, with a guttered shape to drain away the sweat and leak it out of drainage channels on the side. Perhaps it could be gathered in a container via a tube and used to fuel an eye-stinging spray-gun to be used against evil dogs and n'e'r-do-wells ? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Wonder what the Dragons would think of that idea ?!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
goo_mason said:
Wonder what the Dragons would think of that idea ?!

It is a poorly thought out hair brained idea and for that reason I'm out !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I got my wife to make a scull cap out of some fabric called 'power dry' - she aquired it from the US - it's basically a lightweight wicking fabric which dry's fast - she made two under shirts of the stuff for me.

Then helmet on top - so cap soaks up sweat, and helmet drys it...works a treat. No issues with 'overheating' as it's pretty thin.

domtyler

Über Member
Just ditch the ferkin helmets ffs!! Unless you're a newbie or a numpty why do you need one? How often are you guys falling off?

4F

domtyler said:
Just ditch the ferkin helmets ffs!! Unless you're a newbie or a numpty why do you need one? How often are you guys falling off?

LOL :biggrin:

4F

BentMikey said:
That's my solution - I don't wear a helmet on the bike.

What about hi viz mikey ? You have never made yourself clear on this point :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My lid's well vented, so actually helps keep my head cooler than without one, and I sweat buckets....just tend to wear a lid as I've been wearing them for years from racing.

Maz

Guru
You could try a cycling buff. Good at keeping the sweat off and protecting your dome-like from the worst of the sun's rays. I would look sht wearing one, but if you're a goatie beardo weirdo you could get away with it.

No offence.
Up the Blades!

Top Bottom