Swimming is much harder than cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Somewhere in the middle.

I've started going regularly again recently, cycling to and from the leisure centre. I've found the part requiring the most skill is getting my nice, L/s, fleecy lined lycra jersey back on. Its clingier than a clingy thing when still slightly damp after the swim, resulting in wrestling with it to get arms in and pull it down.

I once thought about a triathalon. But then realised that apart from being overweight and middle aged I actually hate running. Which is why I have a bike.

edit: And those older ladies who glide effortlessly up and down the pool, chatting to each other whilst I'm puffing and blowing trying to keep up with them are really annoying.:angry:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I've got a mate who is a competitive swimmer and did a tri who is great at swimming but not a fan of cycling.

I'm agreeing with you maggot - swimming is definitely harder for me- it's a weakness of mine but I did nearly drown when I was a nipper so forced myself to overcome the fear but not been swimming in ages so must do it again soon.

Though I suppose it depends on what you're like and what your strengths are as an individual-some people are just built in different ways.

gbb

Legendary Member
But i'll bet you don't swim much Maggot. Ive always been very mediocre at swimming, didnt learn till i was 14 or so. Very infrequent swimmer, so i never perfect it..obvious really.
Mate of mine swims like a fish...its fabulous to see how he cuts through the water. I think physiche has a lot to do with it. My upper body's very slim. My mate has broard shoulders. I dont think i have the upper body strength to do it well,,,without a lot of work

longers

Legendary Member
Reasonable swimmer but get bored with it and am not keen on sharing the lane with others.

When I can be bothered to go again I'm going to try and emulate this technique. Bloody smooth!

Ravenbait

Someone's imaginary friend
<---- joyful dolphin

dolfin.jpg

Sam

ASC1951

Guru
[QUOTE 1252102"]
However I swim like a coracle :ohmy: I tend to breathe out on one stroke with my head out of the water, then lift my head the other side when breathing in.
[/quote]
You're right, Maggot, the minimum skill level for swimming is much higher than for cycling - particularly for front crawl, which some people never master. I suspect that competition cycling is just as difficult as competition swimming, though.

I'm a competent 2.5k a session crawl swimmer but find breast stroke much harder.

My mum is a swimming teacher, as a result both me and my elder brother are strong swimmers.

Mum has always joked that I spend more time under the water than on it.
Although I'm not too thrilled at putting my head in water when swimming in lakes or the sea and don't like doing so without goggles

Night Train

Maker of Things
I swim better then I cycle. I can't fall over when I am in water.
I do like the water to be fairly warm though, don't like the cold much at all.

If I front crawl I take breathes on the right side on every other stroke but I prefer swimming lengths underwater on a single breath.
I can hold my breath for about 2 minutes, or a bit longer with a bit of hyperventillating and packing .

darkstar

I've swum a 10k before, an open water event. It was far tougher than anything i've ever done on a bike, however my cycling achievements are limited.

Technique is very important, conserving energy is vital, meaning no wildly flapping of the legs or poor breathing patterns.

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I can't do the breathing out underwater thing. Normally get it the wrong way round and inhale water. I'm also stronger on one side so end up pulling myself through the water with one arm. Not painting a great picture really am I ?

But if I want to swim non-stop for a decent time I don't have any choice, so I don't do it.

canal?
swim as far as you like and enjoy some scenery?
:tongue:

[disclaimer] This is probably not a good idea, swimming in locks is both a bad idea and prohibited, doing any of the above is likely to get you in physical trouble or a fine, or potentially stuffed in a police or british waterway's car boot. [/disclaimer]

ventoux50

I love swimming - got back into it properly last year after watching Robson Green on the tv doing his wild swimming stuff, then I saw a programme on the British Gas open water swim series - on the strength of that I entered the Windermere mile - was going to the pool 3 / 4 times a week swimming over a mile each time, bought a wetsuit, got all excited - then the piggin swim was cancelled due to blue green algae ! :angry:

Was not a happy camper.

But I have to say, I definitely noticed a carry over effect from swimming fitness to cycling fitness, my upper body strength improved, core stability improved - which made climbing much more efficient.

And my cardiovascular fitness improved a fair amount . . . I put this down to the way in which you're obliged to take deeper breaths, and hold them for longer - therefore increasing the lung volume . . . which definitely has a long term beneficial effect noticeable on the bike.

I would say to anyone who rides a bike (especially at this time of year) - get in the pool and cross train, it's not easy at first, after a few consecutive lengths you might be knackered, but keep at it, the improvements soon become apparent.

Definitely great exercise !

Hate running though so could never contemplate a triathlon.

Mark_Robson

On the rare occasions that I take the kids swimming, I find that I now swim like a brick.
And this is coming from a man who had his siver swimming award proudly stitched to his Speedo's when he was 14.
I remember in those days I could rescue a brick from drowning in my PJ's, whereas today I am more concerned about saving myself from drowning and trying to suck my belly in as I exit the pool.

Top Bottom