Taking lunch breaks...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpiderPig

I've been slowly building up my miles on rides over the past few months and tomorrow I'm going to do my first two part ride with an hour break for lunch in the middle.

Does anyone else normally have a lunch stop in the middle of a ride and if so does it let you add any extra miles than if you just aimed for it all in one go?

Cheers :biggrin:

ajb

Never stopped for a "lunch break"
I prefer to keep going, I find that if I stop for more than
a few minutes I stiffen up & find it hard to get going again.

Alan.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Depends on the distance. If I'm doing over 40 miles and it's fairly nippy like it's been since the very beginning of December the cold just seems to drain you so I think it's a good idea. If it's some shorter ride like 20 miles then I think it's a waste of time.

OP
OP
S

SpiderPig

To give you the full picture it will be a 50-60 mile ride with an indoor stop in the middle! The longest I've done so far is about 45 miles in one go :angry:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
SpiderPig said:
To give you the full picture it will be a 50-60 mile ride with an indoor stop in the middle! The longest I've done so far is about 45 miles in one go :angry:

That's the sort of distance I do. I'd stop for the dinner but I'm no expert and a crap cyclist. I tend to bonk after about 35 miles. I've done 3x 100km rides recently (very long rides for me) and on each occasion the coldness we've had is an energy sapping factor.

Randochap

Senior hunter
What's the use of going for a ride if you can't stop for treats?

Keep them to half an hour though.

Bodhbh

Guru
I'm doing about 50-60miles on weekend runs atm, and always stop for an hour at a cafe to read the paper and have a good filling and a couple of mugs of coffee. It is hard going to start again, but it's the routine and I think I'd look forward to them less without it. Just experiment :smile:

Dave5N

Über Member
Bodhbh said:
I'm doing about 50-60miles on weekend runs atm, and always stop for an hour at a cafe to read the paper and have a good filling and a couple of mugs of coffee. It is hard going to start again, but it's the routine and I think I'd look forward to them less without it. Just experiment :smile:

Are you sure it really is a cafe?

ANd not a back-street dentists?

jimboalee

S'pose its a bit late now, but enjoy both of your rides today ( Sunday morning as I write this ).

A 100km with a ONE HOUR lunch is effectively TWO rides. One in the morning and another in the afternoon.

Top Bottom